California Avocado Egg Roll with Spicy Duck Sauce
|4||cups||chopped red onion|
|3||Tbsp.||finely chopped garlic|
|1 1/4||cups||fresh lime juice|
|6||oz.||Dried tomato (packed in oil), chopped|
|1/3||cup||chopped fresh cilantro|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||ground cumin|
|6||lb.||California Avocados, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|24||Egg roll wrappers (6 inches)|
|Spicy Duck Sauce (recipe follows)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Sauté onion in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, tomato, cilantro, cumin and salt; fold in avocado. Cool to room temperature.
- For each roll, lay an egg roll wrapper on a work surface with corner at top. Put 1/2 cup cooled filling in a line from left to right on the center of the wrapper, leaving a 1-inch border on each side. Pull top corner over filling; fold in sides. Roll once toward bottom corner. Moisten remaining corner with water; press firm to roll. Reserve on a lightly floured sheet pan, sealed side down. Cover and refrigerate until service.
- Egg rolls may be prepared to this point a few hours before service.
- PER ORDER
- Deep fry 2 egg rolls at 375°F until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Cut on the diagonal. Serve immediately with 3 tablespoons sauce.
- Spicy Duck Sauce with Cashews and Cilantro
- Stir together 3-1/2 cups Chinese Duck Sauce, 1 heaping cup (7 ounces) roasted cashews, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand at least 3 hours to marry flavors. Yield: 6 Cups.