California Avocado Nest with Seafood Filling and Saffron Sauce
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||quart heavy cream|
|Large pinch of saffron threads, toasted and ground|
|As needed||Freshly ground white pepper|
|2||lb.||and 4 ounces shrimp (36 to 40 count), peeled, deveined, cut in 1/2-inch pieces|
|2||lb.||and 4 ounces scallops, cut in 1/2-inch pieces|
|1 1/2||oz.||dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and diced|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh dill, chopped|
|1/2||cup||fresh lemon juice|
|12||California Avocados (about 6 lbs.)|
|As needed||White sesame seeds, toasted|
|As needed||Black sesame seeds, toasted|
|36||flat leaf parsley or chervil sprigs|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Reduce cream by one quarter, about 10 minutes; stir in saffron.
- Lightly season to taste with salt and pepper; strain. Chill.
- Mix seafood with tomato and dill; reserve.
- Just before service, fold in 1/2 cup lemon juice or to taste.
- Per Order:
- Peel, halve, and seed 1 avocado. Thinly slice each half lengthwise; brush slices with lemon juice.
- On a serving plate, overlap avocado slices in a circle, forming a nest.
- Fill nest with 3/4 cup (5 ounces) seafood mixture.
- Pour 1/4 cup saffron sauce around nest.
- Garnish with black and white sesame seeds and 3 sprigs of parsley.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.