California Avocado Poblano Soup
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||Tbsp.||finely diced tomato|
|2||Tbsp.||thinly sliced green onion|
|1/3||Tbsp.||+ 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided|
|4||Genuine California Avocados (about 2 pounds), peeled and seeded|
|3||cups||chopped white onion|
|2 1/4||cups||chopped yellow bell pepper|
|3/4||cup||chopped poblano chile pepper|
|1||cup||dry white wine|
|2||quart water or chicken stock|
|As needed||Queso Fresco or Feta cheese, crumbled for garnish|
|As needed||Deep fried tortilla strips for garnish|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- To make garnish, mix tomato, green onion, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and a large pinch of salt; reserve.
- To make soup, dice avocado.
- Mix with remaining 1/3 tablespoon lime juice; reserve.
- Saute onion, peppers, and garlic in oil over high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with wine; reduce by half.
- Add water or stock, cumin, chile powder, pepper, and salt.
- Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Puree mixture with reserved avocado mixture and cilantro sprigs; thin to desired consistency with additional water or stock. Add additional salt, if necessary.
- Serve hot soup garnished with 1 teaspoon cheese, 1 teaspoon reserved tomato mixture, and a few broken tortilla chips.
Serving Size = 1 Cup
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.