California Avocado Shishito Pepper “Relleno”
|200||California Avocado Shishito Pepper Rellenos (recipe follows)|
|Chorizo (recipe follows)|
|1 1/2||lb.||cheddar curds, broken into small pieces|
|17||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, cut, seeded, 6 slices each half|
|California Avocado Tomatillo salsa (recipe follows)|
|California Avocado Crema (recipe follows)|
|California Avocado Shishito Pepper Relleno (Yield: 200 Shishito Peppers)|
|As needed||Canola or vegetable oil|
|2||cups||unbleached all-purpose flour|
|2||lb.||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, cut, peeled, seeded, and pureed|
|200||shishito peppers, slit ½-inch down the side and in the middle|
|Chorizo (Yield: Approximately 2 pounds)|
|1 1/4||lb.||cubed boneless pork shoulder, cleaned and trimmed|
|1/2||Tbsp.||+ half-teaspoon kosher salt|
|1/2||tsp.||toasted ground cumin|
|Fresh mint, a few leaves, finely chopped|
|1/2||small Spanish onion, chopped and sauteed|
|1||cloves of garlic chopped and sautéed|
|California Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa (Yield: Approximately 8 cups)|
|5||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded and diced small|
|1||lemon supreme, diced small|
|1||orange supreme, diced small|
|Tomatillo Base (Yield: 8 cups)|
|10||oz.||jalapenos, remove sides of 3-4 whole jalapeños, discarding seed sack and stem|
|2||lb.||tomatillos, peeled and washed|
|4||whole sweet onions, peeled, cut into 3 thick slices|
|1||lb.||roasted poblanos, peeled, seeded and minced|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
|California Avocado Crema (Yield: Approximately 6 cups)|
|14||oz.||(approx. 6 each) Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded|
|2||oz.||fresh lime juice|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In the bottom of serving dish, place ½ cup California Avocado Tomatillo salsa, 8 California Avocado Shishito Pepper Rellenos, 8 Fresh California Avocado slices, 1/6 cup of crumbled cheese curds, and 1/6 cup chorizo. Drizzle with 1/6 cup California Avocado Crema. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
California Avocado Shishito Pepper Relleno
- Preheat fryer to 365°F.
- Purée the avocados. Place the puree in a piping bag with tip.
- Open the small slit and pipe 2 tsp. California Avocado into each chile. Set filled chiles aside.
- Whisk flours and cornstarch together in large bowl. Whisk egg and vodka together in another large bowl. Whisk seltzer water into egg mixture.
- To fry the peppers, pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and whisk gently until just combined (small lumps are ok) to create a batter.
- Hold the California Avocado Shishito Peppers by the stem and submerge them in the batter.
- Remove the chiles from the batter, allowing excess batter to drip off, and carefully place in preheated oil. While frying multiple peppers, stir with a chopstick or wooden skewer to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking. Cook until light brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer California Avocado Shishito to a paper-lined surface and sprinkle with salt.
- Mix all ingredients except water.
- Grind through small dye, then continue mixing the ingredients by hand, slowly adding water until tacky. Cool overnight.
- On high heat, sear and caramelize the meat. Cook and stir until it resembles fine ground beef.
- Turn out onto a cutting board and continue to chop the meat to small, ¼-inch x ¼-inch cooked pieces.
California Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa
- To cool tomatillo base, add small diced Fresh California Avocados, lemon and orange supremes and their juices.
- Adjust seasoning. You should notice the chunkiness of avocado and also see the pieces of orange and lemon supremes. Check seasoning.
- Note: Salsa can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Add the California Avocados right before serving.
- In a large skillet, partially char vegetables (jalapeno, tomatillo, garlic, onion, poblano) for about 15 minutes, moving ingredients around often.
- While warm, puree the charred vegetables and roasted poblanos. Add salt and cilantro. Cool.
California Avocado Crema
- Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth. Place in squirt bottle for drizzling.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.