Grilled California Avocado and Steak Arepas with Avocado Cream
|2||Garlic cloves, peeled|
|1||Tbsp.||Red chili peppers, finely chopped|
|1||tsp.||dried oregano leaves|
|2||lb.||Flank or skirt steak|
|3/4||cup||Yellow cornmeal or arepa flour|
|1/3||cup||Monterey Jack cheese, shredded|
|3||Tbsp.||Melted butter, divided|
|1/2||cup||Boiling water (3/4 cup if needed)|
|2/3||cup||fresh corn kernels|
|1||lb.||California Avocados, sliced 3/8-inch thick|
|1||Red bell pepper, halved and seeded|
|1||Yellow bell pepper, halved and seeded|
|As needed||Red chili peppers or bell peppers, finely chopped - as needed for garnish|
|As needed||Corn husks -- as needed for garnish|
|As needed||Lime wedges - as needed for garnish|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- To prepare steak, combine first 8 ingredients in a shallow container. Remove about 1/4 cup marinade and reserve; add steak to container, turning to coat meat on both sides and marinate at least 1 hour.
- To prepare Arepas, process cornmeal in a blender until finely ground (arepa flour doesn’t need further grinding). Transfer to large bowl and stir in cheese, 2 tablespoons melted butter and salt. Add enough boiling water to make a very thick batter; stir in corn.
- Brush griddle with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter and heat until medium-hot. Using about 1 tablespoon batter for each arepa, drop batter onto hot griddle and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Keep warm.
- Drain steak from marinade and place on medium-hot grill or in grill pan. Cook 5 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness.
- Brush avocado slices and bell pepper halves with reserved marinade and grill, turning once, until lightly browned with grill marks.
- To prepare Avocado Cream, cut avocado into chunks and blend with sour cream, lime juice and cayenne in blender until smooth.
- Slice steak and place a few pieces on each arepa. Cut bell pepper into strips and arrange over steak; top with grilled avocado slices and a dollop of Avocado Cream. Sprinkle with chopped red chilies; garnish with lime wedges and corn husks filled with chopped chilies.