Roasted poblanos, a rich blend of cheeses and Fresh California Avocado create unforgettable quesadillas.
Grilled California Avocado Quesadilla
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||poblano chiles, roasted|
|2/3||cup||manchego cheese, shredded finely|
|1/2||cup||Panela cheese, crumbled|
|3||Tbsp.||Cotija cheese, shredded finely or grated|
|As needed||Freshly ground pepper, to taste|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and sliced about 3/8-inch thick|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh lime or lemon juice|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
|4||(10-inch) flour tortillas|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Peel chiles, remove stem, seed and tough membranes. Slice thinly.
- Mix cheeses together with black pepper and set aside.
- Brush each slice of California Avocado on both sides with juice and oil; lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Grill, turning once, until lightly browned with grill marks; reserve.
- Lay tortillas on a clean work surface. Divide cheese among the tortillas, placing just on one half of each tortilla.
- On top of cheese evenly distribute the poblano strips and grilled avocado slices.
- Drizzle each quesadilla with 1 Tbsp. salsa, if desired.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan. Brown quesadilla on both sides over medium heat.
- Cover pan for a minute or so to finish melting cheese.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 pieces. Serve 2 pieces per serving with remaining salsa on the side.
Yield: 4 quesadillas, 1/2 quesadilla per serving.
Grilled California Avocado Quesadillas also make a delicious entrée. Simply increase serving size to 1 or 2 quesadillas per person.
Serve with fresh squeezed orange juice or a light beer.
To roast the chiles hold them over an open flame or roast at 425 degrees F in the oven until the skin is blistered on all sides. Immediately place in a paper bag, roll the top down and allow chiles to steam for a few minutes. Then, when cool enough to handle, peel off the outer skin.
Vitamin A 1069 IU; Vitamin C 5 mg; Calcium 123 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 60 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%