San Diego cuisine is a rich melting pot of ethnic flavors including Southwestern spices and ingredients, which complement the delicious taste of Fresh California Avocados in this buttery “San Diego Growers’ Guacamole” recipe.
San Diego Growers’ Guacamole
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||cup||frozen corn kernels, thawed in boiling water for 5 minutes and drained well|
|2||Anaheim or jalapeño chiles, stemmed, halved lengthwise and seeded|
|1/4||medium red onion, cut into pieces|
|1||Tbsp.||olive or vegetable oil|
|2||ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled and seeded|
|4||Tbsp.||fresh lime juice|
|1/2||tsp.||Freshly ground pepper|
|Hot pepper sauce (optional)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil, coat with cooking spray.
- Toss corn, chile and onion pieces with oil in large bowl, then spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are lightly browned.
- When cool, peel chiles if desired; chop chiles and onion finely.
- Set aside with roasted corn.
- In large mixing bowl, coarsely mash avocados with lime juice.
- Stir in chopped roasted chiles and onion, corn, salsa, and cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and a few drops of hot pepper sauce, if desired.
- Transfer guacamole to serving bowl and serve with tortilla chips.
Tortilla chips in bright colors such as red, green and blue corn make a festive presentation.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Guacamole is best made as close to serving as possible. For short-term storage, seal in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the guacamole.
Vitamin A 908 IU; Vitamin C 16 mg; Calcium 20 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 81 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 2%; Iron 4%