As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Do you cry when California Avocado season is over because you wish you could have delicious California Avocados year round?
Of course you do!
I’m here to make your day, because this post is all about freezing avocados so that you can enjoy delicious California Avocado guacamole, avocado toast, avocado hummus and more all year round!
Freezing avocados is really easy to do, and I’m going to show you two different ways to freeze avocados today so that you can enjoy your favorite Avocado recipes all year round!
The first method for freezing avocados involves freezing the avocado halves.
How to Freeze Avocado Halves
- Slice the avocado in half, peel and seed. Brush the avocado halves with a bit of lemon juice and wrap them tightly in a clingy plastic wrap**. Don’t leave any room for air – this means the plastic wrap should cling into the curve where the seed was.
- Place the plastic wrapped avocado halves into a large freezer safe zip tight bag. Once you have all your wrapped avocados in the freezer safe bag, press out all the air, zip it closed, and place the avocado halves in the freezer.
- Remove each one whenever you’re ready to use it, let it thaw, and enjoy!
bonus: If you have a food prep or vacuum sealing machine that pulls all the air out of the seal, your prep is even easier! You can skip the clingy plastic wrap step.
How to Freeze Mashed Avocados
If you’re one of those people who prefers to have the avocados frozen already mashed for quick spreading onto toast or for making guacamole; this method is for you.
- Place your scooped avocados into a bowl and drizzle with the juice of half a lemon.
- Mash the avocados to your preferred texture – I like mine chunky.
- Place in a zip tight freezer safe bag, remove the air and you’re done!
bonus tip: You can divide the bag into sections for freezing easy portions, but I use a whole gallon size bag each time so I just lay it flat, fold it in half and place it in the freezer.
Go forth and freeze avocados, y’all!