Grilled Octopus with California Avocado
Ingredients4 1/2 lb. octopus tentacles (3-2 oz. pieces cooked weight per serving) 3 Tbsp. California Avocado oil spray 2 Tbsp. blackening spice Chili Garlic Oil, (recipe follows) 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados 3 cups microgreens Avocado Lemon Vinaigrette, (recipe follows) 1 1/2 cups Pickled Red Onion, (recipe follows) 24 slices habanada or mini sweet bell peppers 1/8 cup minced garlic, fried Chili Garlic Oil (Yield: ¾ cup) 1/2 cup California Avocado oil 2 Tbsp. chili oil 2 garlic gloves, minced 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes Avocado Lemon Vinaigrette (Yield: ¾ cup) 1/2 cup California Avocado oil 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper Pickled Red Onion (Yield: 1 qt.) 1 lb. red onion 1 1/2 qt. water 3 tsp. salt 1/3 cup sugar 2 cups apple cider vinegar 1 Tbsp. sriracha hot sauce 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced 1 Tbsp. Moroccan spice blend (ras el hanout) or Chinese Five Spice 1/2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
Chili Garlic Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a glass jar with tight fitting lid.
Avocado Lemon Vinaigrette
- Whisk together all ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Pickled Red Onion
- Remove the skin from the onions and cut in half. Turn and slice the onion into 1/8″ half-moon strips. Set aside in a container, with a secure lid, that will hold onions and liquid.
- Place water, salt, sugar, and vinegar into a pot and bring to simmer, whisk until salt and sugar dissolve. Once mixture simmers, stir in hot sauce, ginger, seasoning and garlic. Bring back to a simmer. Whisk to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour the hot mixture over the onions and let stand for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes secure the lid and store refrigerated until ready to use. Use within 2 weeks.
Assemble, per order:
- Spray 3 cooked octopus tentacles with avocado oil; season with ½ tsp. blackening spice.
- Sear octopus on a hot grill on each side for two minutes. Remove from grill.
- Using a wide bowl for service, pour 1 Tbsp. Chili Garlic Oil in center and slightly roll in a circle so the oil covers the bottom of the bowl.
- Arrange octopus at the back of the bowl, overlapping each piece.
- Toss ¼ cup microgreens with 1 Tbsp. Avocado Lemon Vinaigrette and place to the left of the octopus. Top with 2 slices habanada pepper.
- Arrange 2 Tbsp. Pickled Red Onions next to microgreens.
- Slice ¼ of avocado and fan between octopus and microgreens.
- Garnish avocado with ½ tsp. fried garlic.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados