As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
I was going through some archived brochures and material in the California Avocado Commission office and discovered a booklet of avocado beauty tips and DIY spa-worthy recipes. Although the design was pretty dated, the content is still very relevant, especially as the winter weather can wreak havoc on the skin.
Below are three DIY avocado beauty elixirs with printable cards. So, sip on a smoothie (recipes here), light your favorite candle, turn on a relaxing playlist and settle in for some SPAvocado time.
Avocado Fresh-Face Mask
This DIY face mask recipe is for men and women, alike! Whether your skin is dry from sun damage, razor burn or just the winter elements, this treatment replaces lost moisture and nutrients, such as essential fatty acids and vitamins.
Ingredients and supplies:
- 1 ripe avocado
- [dry skin] 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- [oily skin] juice of 1 fresh lemon
- Hand towel
- Herbal tea mixture: [sensitive skin] raspberry tea, [dry skin] rose tea or [combination skin] lemon tea
- Small spray bottle
- Brew herbal tea of choice based on your skin type (see ingredients for options) and let cool
- Remove makeup and cleanse skin
- Prepare the mask: blend the flesh of the avocado with a fork in a bowl. If skin is extremely dry, add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. If skin is naturally moist or oily, only add the juice of 1 fresh lemon
- Apply mask mixture to your face and throat and leave on for 10 minutes
- Soak a hand towel in warm water, wring out and apply over your face, leaving space for your mouth and nose. Leave the towel on your face for a brief moment, then wipe away the mask with the towel
- Rinse your skin with warm water; pat dry
- Spray cooled herbal tea onto your skin
Print this DIY Avocado Moisturizing Face Mask
Not surprisingly, we aren’t the only ones who have discovered the beautifying benefits of avocados. This moisture mask by Feutcake combines avocado, egg, Greek yogurt, baking soda and coconut oil to deliver moisture to dry, winter skin.
Hair & Scalp Moisture Pack
Avocados not only moisturize your scalp and hair, they also aid in de-stressing and give your hair a luminous shine. Here’s how to create the ultimate avocado hair and scalp mask pack.
Ingredients and supplies:
- 1 very ripe avocado
- 1 lemon or splash of lemon juice
- 1 shower cap
- Your regular shampoo and conditioner
- Prepare the mask: mash the flesh of the avocado in a bowl, squeeze the juice of half a lemon and stir
- Wet your hair with warm water in the sink or shower
- Apply the avocado/lemon mixture by rubbing thoroughly into your hair and scalp. Note: it’s best if your scalp is still warm so the natural avocado oils can penetrate more easily
- Put a shower cap over your head to avoid staining and leave it on for 20 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly, shampoo and follow with your favorite conditioner
Print this DIY Avocado Hair & Scalp Mask
There are other variations of avocado hair masks that you may consider, too, like this one on LaurenConrad.com that calls for banana and olive oil or this scalp saver from thebeautydepartment.com that includes argan oil, honey and tea tree oil.
Back to Basics Back Rub
This avocado beauty tip is one to bookmark for a date-night surprise. This cleansing back rub relieves stress and tension while cleansing your significant other’s back, and supplying their skin with needed moisture and nutrients. Essentially, this is a DIY couple’s massage using avocados.
Ingredients and supplies (for 2 massages):
- 2 washcloths
- Buffing cloth, loofah or avocado skin
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 sheets of plastic wrap or plastic bags
- 4 moist towels
- Avocado oil or moisturizing lotion
- Cleanse your partner’s back with a washcloth and then exfoliate using a buffing cloth, loofah or even the scooped-out skin of the avocado (the bumpy texture on the outer surface makes an ideal exfoliation tool)
- Apply the flesh of one ripe avocado over the entire back
- Cover the avocado-smeared back with a sheet of plastic wrap or a plastic bag, then add a moist towel on top of the plastic
- Rest for 15 minutes, then remove towel and plastic. Use another moist towel to wipe away the avocado
- Apply a quarter-sized dab of avocado oil or moisturizing lotion to the back and begin 10 minutes (or more!) of massage. BONUS points: Clean and dry the pits from two avocados, then take one in each hand to massage the muscles on your partner’s back.
- Now, it’s your turn! Hand these directions to your partner and repeat.
Print this Step by Step Avocado Couple’s Massage
Fortunately, all of these beauty products are edible – would it be weird to bring chips to my back massage?
What are your DIY beauty secrets? Tell us below and remember to share these avocado ideas with your friends!