As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
By peeling avocados, you gain access to the most nutrient-dense part of the fruit closest to the peel.
Everyone has a personal preference on how to cut California Avocados – but using this ‘nick and peel’ technique allows you to make the most of your avocado while maximizing the nutritional benefits. Here’s how to cut and peel an avocado.
How to Peel Avocados
Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be peeling your avocados like a pro in no time:
- Make sure your avocados are ripe and ready to eat
- Like all fruit, wash the avocado before cutting
- Carefully cut the ripe avocado in half length-wise around the seed
- Rotate the avocado ¼ turn and cut length-wise around the seed to make ¼-avocado segments
- Separate the quarters and remove seed
- Starting from the tip, nick and carefully peel each segment. Discard the peel (we do not recommend consuming the avocado peel)
Top 3 Reasons to Peel Avocados
- The greatest concentration of carotenoids, or beneficial plant pigments, is in the dark green fruit closest to the skin. In fact, avocados contribute 11 beneficial carotenoids to one’s diet, including lutein, which helps to maintain healthy eyesight as we age
- By peeling your avocado, you’re ensuring you don’t miss out on the nutritional benefits of this super food which may be lost when preparing your avocado in other ways, such as scooping
- Safety first! Peeling your avocado allows you to remove the seed using your fingers which helps eliminate the risk of cutting yourself if using a knife to remove the seed
Peeled Avocado Possibilities
Peeling avocados opens up all kinds of preparation and presentation possibilities.
Peel and then slice your avocado for perfectly presentable slices on your sandwich or in a salad:
Or peel, slice and then dice for nicely diced avocado chunks in your salads:
Or even slice, dice and then mash with a fork for the perfect guacamole consistency:
Whether you’re mixing California Avocados into a traditional guacamole, or slicing them for a summery salad, try peeling your avocados and enjoy the goodness in every bite.