Vintage California Avocado Recipe. California Avocados have been part of summer picnics and get-togethers for generations. We found this classic recipe from our California Avocado Commission archives and lightened it up a bit for modern times! With only 200 calories per service, 610 mg of potassium, 10% Daily Value (DV) Calcium, 25%DV Vitamin C and 25% DV Vitamin A, this salad has some of the healthful nutrients your body needs.
Classic Seven Layer Salad
Vitamin A 755 (IU); Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 97 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 15 (IU); Folate 902 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.12 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 10%; Iron 8%
Ingredients1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt 1 cup light sour cream 1 (1-oz) package dry ranch dressing mix 12 cups Mixed salad greens 3 cups cooked and cubed turkey, ham, or chicken, or a combination of any of the three 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cubed 1 oz. blue cheese, crumbled 4 green onions, thinly sliced 6 slices lower sodium bacon, cooked and crumbled 3 hard cooked eggs, chopped 1 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes
- Stir together yogurt, light sour cream and dressing mix; chill while layering the rest of the ingredients.
- Layer greens, meat, avocados, blue cheese and onions in a deep glass salad bowl or 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Spread chilled dressing evenly over salad.
- Decorate top of salad with bacon, eggs and tomatoes.
- Chill 4 to 8 hours before serving.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados