2011 California Avocado Commission Foodservice Chef Competition Grand Prize Winner. California Avocado, Mango and Lobster tower with Avocado, Hamachi Ponzu and mini tomato and avocado spoon. Rene VanBroekhuizen of McCormick & Schmick’s Restaurant created this winning recipe for the 2011 California Avocado Commission Foodservice chef competition. Check out the demonstration video!
Fresh California Avocado Trio – Tree and Sea Combo
|For the Tower|
|1||whole cooked Maine lobster (remove, de-shell meat and save out Claws)|
|1||large Fresh California Avocado seeded and skinned – medium to large dice.|
|4||Tbsp.||Diced fresh Mango|
|4||Tbsp.||Mixed Micro greens|
|Pomegranate reduction, Mango vinaigrette, Basil Oil - all in Squirt bottles|
|For the Hamachi|
|6||oz.||4x3 slices of raw fresh Sashimi Grade Hamachi (approximately 6 oz total)|
|1/2||oz.||Fresh California Avocados in 4x3 slices fresh California Avocado (½ of an avocado will be sufficient total)|
|2||tsp.||each - Ponzu and Truffle oil - ½ tsp each for each plate|
|1||tsp.||Small diced red Jalapeno ¼ tsp for each plate|
|For the California Avocado, Tomato Spoon|
|3||each yellow pear tomatoes|
|3||each red mini Roma or cherry tomatoes|
|1||Tbsp.||Fresh California Avocado, small dice|
|1||pinch||Hawaiian red sea salt|
|1||Marjoram flower, cut with scissors|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Decorate the plate with the pomegranate reduction, place a PVC or stainless steel tube mold (2 inch diameter) on the plate and fill the bottom with a quarter of the diced Fresh California Avocado, tamp.
- Add a TBL. Of the diced mango and tamp.
- Dice the lobster tail meat and toss with a 1/2ed claw in a tsp of mango vinaigrette. Place a quarter of the meat in each mold. Tamp. Keep it in the mold.
- Lay out the Avocado and Hamachi in an alternative pattern. Top with Ponzu, truffle oil and sprinkle on the diced red Jalapeno.
- Slice the pear and mini Roma in small thin wedges. Toss with the avocado and oil. Place in 4 Asian noodle spoons and with a scissor cut some of the marjoram flowers on to the mixture. Sprinkle with the red sea salt. Place the spoon on the plate in the center.
- Unmold the Avocado tower and squirt in the basil oil and mango vinaigrette on to each of the plates in the center of the pomegranate reduction. Toss the Micro greens in a small amount of basil oil and top the tower with the salad.
In a thick small sauce pan reduce 1 cup of pomegranate juice by half or until it becomes syrupy. A tablespoon of sugar can be added if it is too tart.
Blanch a cup of basil leaves in boiling salt water for about 10 second, refresh in ice water immediately to retain the color. Drain and squeeze out as much water as possible. In a blender or food processor, puree the blanched leaves with a pinch of sea salt and add ½ cup oil (Avocado Lime Oil or just XVOO) in a stream and blend thoroughly.
Mango Citrus Vinaigrette:
Puree a half a cup of diced ripe mango in a food processor, squeeze the juice of half a lime into the mixture. Add in a pinch of salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper and continue to puree. Stream in ½ cup of olive oil. You may adjust the seasoning with additional salt or sugar to your taste.
Watch Chef Renee VanBroekhuizen of McCormick & Schmick’s Restaurant demonstrate how to make the Fresh California Avocado Trio – Tree and Sea Combo