Red, white and blue potatoes combine with Fresh California Avocados to create a delicious potato salad that’s perfect for patriotic picnics or any time. With no mayonnaise or egg like some traditional potato salads, and just six fresh produce ingredients plus a little seasoning, this is a vegan recipe. Patriotic and good for you because it provides an excellent source of vitamin C (50% DV), 40% DV vitamin B5, 20% DV B3, 20% DV B6, 30% DV vitamin K (30% DV); 15% DV vitamins B2, E and potassium; and a good source (10% DV) protein and iron.
Patriotic Potato Salad with California Avocados
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 20 mcg; Vitamin C 48 mg; Calcium 39 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 104 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.14 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 1/2 lb. bag red, white and blue potato medley (or assorted red, blue/purple and new potatoes) 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced 2 green onions, white and light green parts only, minced 1/2 cup diced celery, optional 1 serrano pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced, optional 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, or to taste
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with water. Cover the bowl and microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes. Test for doneness by piercing one potato with a fork. The fork should slide in with gentle resistance. Continue cooking if not done, otherwise carefully drain the potatoes and refrigerate them until cold.
- Cut potatoes in bite-sized pieces (quarter or dice depending on size of potato). Place in a large bowl.
- Slice one half avocado and sprinkle with the lemon juice; set aside.
- Mash the remaining avocado and add to the bowl with potatoes. Stir in the lemon zest, green onions, celery, pepper and garlic salt.
- Gently fold in the diced avocado; adjust garlic salt to taste. Fan avocado slices on top and serve immediately.
- Fresh herbs make a nice addition to this avocado potato salad. Stir in a teaspoon or more of your favorite minced fresh herbs, such as dill, cilantro or flat leaf parsley.
- Stir in diced hard-boiled eggs.
Serving Suggestion: Amp up the American holiday spirit by serving in a bowl with patriotic colors. If prepared in advance place a layer of plastic wrap or a flat cover directly over the top surface; refrigerate.
Beverage Pairing: Lemonade.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados