All-American Recipe Contest 2014 Grand Prize winner for the Favorite 4th of July Recipe category. This is a fun Texas-style twist on a traditional American cheeseburger with tasty fajita toppings. A little spice, some sweet bell peppers, and guacamole make for one killer burger.
The Ultimate Fajita Burger
|2||lb.||lean ground beef|
|Fajita bell pepper topping Ingredients:|
|1||orange bell pepper, sliced|
|1||red bell pepper, sliced|
|1/2||cup||thinly sliced red onions|
|6||burger buns, toasted for bonus points|
|6||oz.||Chipotle Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar, sliced|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed|
|As needed||Garlic powder, to taste|
|As needed||Salt to taste|
|6||large, thick slices tomatoes|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- For the burgers: Mix all of the burger ingredients together in a medium bowl and press into 6 patties. Grill over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes on each side until the meat is cooked through and the center registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer. If you’d like the cheese melted, add it to the top of the burgers 1 minute before they are cooked through.
- For the fajita bell pepper topping: Sauté the sliced peppers and onion in the salsa over medium heat until the peppers are cooked through and soft, about 6 minutes.
- Make a simple guacamole by combining the mashed avocados with garlic powder and salt to taste.
- To assemble the burgers put guacamole on the bun tops and bottoms like you would mayonnaise or other condiments, add sliced tomato, burger, cheese if you didn’t melt it, and the pepper mixture. Top with the bun.
Note: If you like a little spice try adding a chopped jalapeño to the pepper mixture before cooking it. Yum!
Serving Suggestion: Enjoy while the peppers and burgers are hot.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.