This colorful, crunchy, sweet and savory California Avocado Butter Board is beautiful enough to become your table’s centerpiece! There’s also beauty in knowing that you’re diving into a dish that is made with creamy California Avocado and a medley of fruits, veggies and seasoning that together, create an international appetizer that can please any palate. With this recipe you’ll learn how to make avocado butter as a base, and each one of the four sections can stand on its own as a unique butter avocado recipe using one avocado for each section. This dish takes some mashing, chopping, slicing and dicing, but it doesn’t require any cooking or special skills to serve it up.
California Avocado Better-Than-Butter Board
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 8 mcg; Vitamin C 10 mg; Calcium 15 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 101 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.14 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6 %; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsAvocado Butter Board Base 4 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and mashed 2 tsp. lime juice 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste 1 bunch fresh parsley, washed, dried and separated, optional Greek Avocado Butter Board 1/4 Avocado Butter Board Base (see recipe above) 1 Tbsp. hot honey 1 Tbsp. dried cranberries 2 small portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese 1 Tbsp. pine nuts 1/8 tsp. Greek seasoning Middle Eastern Butter Board 1/4 Avocado Butter Board Base (see recipe above) 2 fresh Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced and shaved 1 Tbsp. chopped dried apricots 1 Tbsp. maple syrup 1/4 cup sliced unsalted almonds 1/8 tsp. Turkish seasoning Italian Avocado Butter Board 1/4 Avocado Butter Board Base (see recipe above) 6 shaved Parmesan cheese curls 2 grape tomatoes, thinly sliced 1 Tbsp. chopped sun-dried tomatoes 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil 2 Tbsp. balsamic glaze 1/8 tsp. Italian seasoning Sesame Avocado Butter Board 1/4 Avocado Butter Board Base (see recipe above) 1 small Persian or English cucumber, cubed 1 Tbsp. red onion, thinly sliced or finely diced 1 Tbsp. black and white sesame seeds 1/4 tsp. low sodium soy sauce 1 Tbsp. sesame oil 1/8 tsp. 5 Spice Chinese seasoning
Avocado Butter Board Base
Note: Nutrition facts apply to Butter Board Base recipe only
- Clean and dry a large 12 X 20 wooden cutting board.
- Mash avocado and combine with lime. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spread mashed avocado on cutting board using a frosting knife or spatula.
- Use sprigs of parsley to separate the avocado into 4 sections on your board (as shown in photo).
- Evenly top each section with one of the combinations listed below (one of each combination on one quarter of the board) until all 4 sections are covered with toppings.
Greek Avocado Butter Board
- Top one section with a drizzle of hot honey, dried cranberries, mushrooms, crumbled feta cheese and pine nuts. Then sprinkle with Greek seasoning.
Middle Eastern Butter Board
- Top one section with Brussels sprout shavings and dried apricots. Drizzle with maple syrup, sliced almonds and sprinkle with Turkish seasoning.
Italian Avocado Butter Board
- Top one section with Parmesan cheese curls, grape tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, balsamic glaze and Italian seasoning.
Sesame Avocado Butter Board
- Top one section with cucumber, red onion, sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil and sprinkle with of 5 Spice Chinese seasoning.
Variations: If you use a smaller board, you can use less avocado or use a thicker layer of avocado in each section. The above sections represent Greek, Middle Eastern, Italian and Sesame flavors. Each section can be served as a stand-alone board if you prefer just one theme.
Beverage Pairing: Serve with a crisp white wine such as a California Sauvignon Blanc or a juicy red wine like a California Pinot Noir. This board would also pair with a fruity cocktail or a non-alcohol mocktail.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition facts apply to the Avocado Butter Board base recipe only (does not include the toppings)
Did You Know?
It’s actually easy to create an avocado rose. If you are setting out a spread of appetizers, add a beautiful avocado rose to elevate the appeal. Or if you are looking for more casual appetizers try these California Avocado snack recipes.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados