Chef Susan Spicer created this New Orleans-style guacamole featuring pickled onions and Tasso ham.
Avocado, Pickled Vidalia Onions and Tasso Guacamole on Crab Boil Potato Chips
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|3||As neededs||pickled Vidalia onions (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|2||Tbsp.||very finely diced Tasso ham|
|2||Tbsp.||finely chopped scallions|
|1||lemon, juice only|
|As needed||Salt to taste|
|As needed||Crab boil potato chips, optional (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|Pickled Vidalia Onions|
|1/2||cup||vinegar (white or apple cider)|
|2||cups||finely chopped Vidalia onion|
|Crab Boil Potato Chips|
|1||potato, sliced very thin on a vegetable slicer, then rinsed in cool water and dried|
|1||qt.||Oil, for frying|
|As needed||Crab Boil spice mix (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|Crab Boil Spice Mix|
|2||Tbsp.||toasted coriander seed|
|3||Tbsp.||yellow mustard seeds|
|1||Tbsp.||dried lemon zest, very finely chopped|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Mix in a bowl; let sit 10 minutes and serve on crab boil potato chips.
- Bring vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil in a small pot and whisk to dissolve.
- When cool, pour over onions and let steep for about an hour.
- Place any unused onions in a covered jar and refrigerate.
- Slice potatoes very thin and cook in 325 degree F oil, stirring from time to time, until evenly brown.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and crab boil mixture.
- Place all ingredients except cayenne pepper and celery salt in a spice grinder or blender and grind.
- Place ground ingredients in a bowl and stir in cayenne pepper and celery salt.
Calories 360; Fat 31 g (Saturated Fat 3.5 g; Monounsaturated Fat 20 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 5 g); Cholesterol <5 mg; Sodium 350 mg; Potassium 810 mg; Carbohydrate 22 g; Dietary Fiber 10 g; Sugar 5 g; Protein 5 g;
Vitamin A 364 IU; Vitamin C 22 mg; Calcium 60 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 1 IU; Folate 125 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 1 g.