Hugh Acheson chef/owner of three Georgia won the award for Best Cookbook in the field of “American Cooking” by the James Beard Foundation in 2012. His latest cookbook, THE BROAD FORK: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruit, brings fresh produce to the center of the plate and offers knowledge and the inspiration to consider new directions for how we eat and support our communities through the wonderful world of agriculture. This recipe is a great example and was developed for serving in the Commission’s booth a PMA Fresh Summit 2015 in Atlanta, GA. Hugh competed in Bravo’s Top Chef Masters, Season 3 and starred as a judge on Top Chef, Seasons 9, 10, 11 and 12.
Charred Scallion and Apple Guacamole
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|12||scallions, roots trimmed and 2 inches of the dark green discarded|
|4||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded|
|1||Tbsp.||freshly squeezed lime juice|
|1 1/2||tsp.||olive oil|
|1/2||cup||minced sweet onion|
|1/4||cup||chopped fresh parsley leaves|
|1/4||tsp.||toasted and ground cumin seed|
|2||crisp Granny Smith apples, cored and cubed|
|As needed||Kosher salt, to taste|
|As needed||Freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place a large cast iron skillet on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Add avocado oil, then add the scallions. Turn on the hood vent. Cook scallions without moving them; we want them pretty charred on one side. After about 5 minutes, turn them over and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove scallions from pan and let them rest on a paper towel for 1 minute.
- Place the charred scallions on a cutting board and cut them into ½ inch pieces.
- Put in a mixing bowl and add the avocado and the lime juice. Lightly mash the avocado with a fork, add olive oil, onion, parsley, cumin and apple.
- Mix then season with the salt and pepper, and mix again.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with freshly made tortilla chips.
Vitamin A 580 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 95 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 88 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 10%; Iron 6%