Avocado Salad Flatbread Sandwich
Vitamin A 420 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 240 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 141 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 25%; Iron 15%
Ingredients2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar, divided 1/4 tsp. finely chopped fresh garlic As needed Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 3 Tbsp. olive oil 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion 1/3 cup diced tomato 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced 4 (about 7-inch diameter) flatbread rounds, such as pita As needed Hearts of romaine leaves – as needed 2 oz. shaved romano cheese** Jack or fontina cheese slices may be substituted
- To make vinaigrette, whisk together half of the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil; reserve.
- Combine onion, tomato and remaining vinegar; reserve.
- Fold avocado into onion mixture.
- Brush each bread round with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette. Arrange 1 or 2 leaves romaine, depending on size, in center of each flatbread. Top with avocado salad and garnish with cheese.
- Fold filled flatbreads in half to create sandwiches; serve.
If desired, add veggie or deli meats.
Try with a glass of chilled Riesling.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados