A comforting treat with a delicious twist. Slices of Fresh California Avocados turn grilled cheese sandwiches into a seasonal specialty.
SoCal California Avocado Grilled Cheese and Roasted Creamy Tomato Soup
IngredientsSo Cal Mini California Avocado Grilled Cheese(Yield: 20 crust-less sandwiches) 40 slices thick, Texas Toast-style bread, crusts removed, cut into 4” squares 1 1/2 cups butter, softened 3/4 cup mayonnaise 15 ripe Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded and cut into quarters, then into four slices 40 thin slices Provolone cheese, cut 3-1/2” squares 20 large basil leaves, julienned (approximately one per sandwich) As needed salt As needed freshly ground black pepper Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup(Yield: 20 6-ounce portions) 16 large, ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half and seeded 2 Tbsp. avocado oil 1 cup sweet white onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups Heavy Cream 1 Tbsp. Paprika 14 1/2 oz. diced roasted tomatoes (1 can) As needed sea salt As needed freshly ground black pepper
So Cal Mini California Avocado Grilled Cheese
- In a bowl, blend butter with mayonnaise. Spread each bread slice with 1 tsp. of the butter-mayonnaise mixture.
- Heat a large griddle to 300-325°F. In batches (6-8 slices), place the slices spread-side-down on the griddle. Top one-half of the slices with 1 slice Provolone, 1 tsp. julienned basil and four slices of avocado. Finish with salt and freshly ground pepper, if desired.
- Top the other half with 1 slice of Provolone.
- Lift bread slices from the grill to check bread slices for caramelized crusts. When a deep caramelized crust is reached, turn the half with cheese only onto the half with cheese and avocado, pressing down slightly to meld cheese but leave avocado slices intact.
- Transfer finished sandwiches to a rack. Position avocado slices to cut each sandwich half to display the cut avocado.
- Serve each sandwich with 6 ounces of Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup for dipping.
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- In a large bowl, combine plum tomatoes with 1 tbsp. avocado oil and a pinch of sea salt. Coat tomatoes with the oil.
- Preheat a grill to 450°F. Grill/char the tomatoes, turning frequently for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from grill and set aside while preparing the soup.
- In a stockpot, heat avocado oil, then add onions, cooking until they are caramelized. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the garlic is caramelized.
- Add the charred tomatoes, canned tomatoes, paprika and heavy cream and bring to a simmer and cook for about 6 minutes.
- In a heavy-duty blender, process soup in small batches until completely smooth.
- Check for seasoning, adding salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Serve with So Cal Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados