California Avocado Sauced Poached Eggs
|12||Large tomatoes (any color)|
|California Avocado Sauce|
|3||Tbsp.||fresh lime juice|
|1||Tbsp.||Finely chopped shallot|
|2||Tbsp.||Unsalted butter, softened|
|1/5||tsp.||Freshly ground pepper|
|1 1/2||quarts Diced (1/4 inch) cooked potato|
|2 1/4||cups||Diced (1/4 inch) red bell pepper|
|2 1/4||cups||Diced (1/4 inch) green bell pepper|
|2 1/4||cups||Diced (1/4 inch) onion|
|3/4||cup||Dice (1/8 inch) celery|
|As needed||Unsalted butter and/or vegetable oil|
|3/4||Tasso ham or hot Andouille sausage,1/4-inch diced|
|As needed||Freshly ground pepper|
|As needed||Sliced California Avocado for garnish|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Char tomatoes over gas flame until lightly blistered. Cut tomato in half; scoop out center, leaving a firm shell. Reserve.
- To make California Avocado Sauce, mash avocado until creamy with bits of avocado remaining. (Do not puree.) Whisk in lime juice; reserve. Stew shallot in Tequila until almost no liquid remains. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Whisk in butter; stir in reserved avocado mixture, salt, and pepper. Reserve.
- To make Spicy Hash, stew vegetables, sprinkled with a little salt, covered, in a little butter and oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Mix in ham or sausage; reserve.
- PER ORDER
- Warm 1/3 cup reserved sauce; keep warm.
- Film a pan with melted butter; heat. Put 2/3 cup hash mixture in pan; flatten. Fry, turning frequently, until browned and crisp; keep warm.
- Crack an egg into each tomato half; season with salt and pepper. Place in steamer until desired doneness.
- To assemble, mound hash in center of the serving plate. Arrange two tomato halves on either side of hash. Divide sauce, spooning half over each egg. Garnish with avocado slices.