This pasta recipe is filled with colorful and delicious seasonal produce and California Avocados!
Spaghetti with Asparagus, Wilted Greens and Avocado
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 148 mcg; Vitamin C 29 mg; Calcium 72 mg; Iron 5 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 359 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.17 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 6%; Iron 30 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients3 1/2 tsp. salt, divided, plus more to taste 3 large red swiss chard leaves 8 oz. asparagus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 8 oz. dry spaghetti 4 large cloves garlic, minced 1/2 cup white wine of choice 1/2 lemon, zest only (reserve juice) 1/2 lime, zest only (reserve juice) 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more for garnish 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste 1 cup vegetable broth 2 tsp. lemon juice, plus more to taste as needed 2 tsp. lime juice, plus more to taste as needed 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled, and diced into cubes, plus more for garnish, if desired
- Fill a large pot with 3 to 4 quarts of water, adding 1 teaspoon of salt per quart. Cover, set over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- While the pot of water heats up, begin prepping the vegetables. Trim the chard to separate the green leaves from the red stems, then roughly chop the leaves, and slice the stems into 1/4-inch pieces. For the asparagus, remove and discard the tough ends, then cut the spears into 1-inch pieces.
- Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat, and when hot, pour in the olive oil. Add the chard stems and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook until tender but still crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when about 2 to 3 minutes remain on the asparagus, begin cooking the spaghetti—add the pasta to the pot of boiling water, and cook according to package directions, usually about 9 to 11 minutes.
- Once the asparagus is tender, add the minced garlic to the skillet, and cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine, lemon zest, lime zest, 1/2 tsp. salt, . pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook until the wine reduces by about half, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a simmer, then add the chopped chard greens and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- By this point the pasta should be done cooking. Drain the pasta and transfer the spaghetti to the skillet of vegetables. Turn off the heat, then add the lemon juice, lime juice and diced avocados. Toss to combine, then taste for salt and citrus and adjust as needed. Serve hot, garnished with additional sliced avocados and a 1/8 tsp. black pepper at the table, and enjoy!
Serving Suggestion: Pair with your favorite dessert to make for a perfect date night!
Beverage Pairing: A crisp white wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados