California Avocado, Sausage, Onion & Jalapeno Colby Cheese Quiche
IngredientsYield: 1 - 9" Quiche 1 Fresh California Avocado*, thinly sliced 6 oz. ground sausage 1 oz. onion, minced 1 oz. canola or grapeseed oil (if needed) 3 oz. Jalapeno Colby cheese, grated 4 large eggs 6 oz. milk (2%) 1/4 tsp. salt As needed Ground black pepper to taste 1 9" prepared pie dough
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a rack on the bottom third of oven.
- Roll out pie dough and place in a 9” pie dish, gently forming dough to pan and shaping crust. Place pie dish in freezer until needed. (If using pre-packaged frozen pie crusts, leave in freezer until needed).
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground sausage, breaking it apart with spoon as it cooks, and cook until it just starts to brown. If the sausage is lean, add cooking oil if needed to keep it from sticking. Add the onions, and continue to cook until onions are lightly browned and sausage is cooked through. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove pie shell from the freezer and line bottom with one-half of the avocado slices, arranging them in a circle. Add sausage onion mixture on top of the avocado. Top with the grated cheese. Then layer the remaining avocado slices in a circle on top, pressing the mixture down if necessary to keep it below the rim of the pie dish.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl until well incorporated. Add the salt and a dash of pepper. Pour egg mixture into pie shell and carefully place quiche onto a baking sheet and put the sheet onto a shelf in the lower third of the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until set and center no longer jiggles when checked. Remove from oven and set aside to cool and set for 15 minutes before cutting. Slice and serve.
*A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados