Making sushi at home can be a daunting task, but there is a way to enjoy a similar experience with minimal effort. Meet the Avocado Sushi Snacks. The base of each snack stacks up as follows:
- Roasted seaweed snack sheets
- Day-old rice
- Fiber-rich California Avocados, sliced and sprinkled with lime juice
From there, you can really have some fun with the toppings.
Sea salt, fresh herbs, sriracha mayo, sambal oelek and furikake are just a few topping options I’ve outlined here. The base ingredients are very versatile, so you could even take inspiration from a favorite sushi spot, and incorporate flavors from your favorite rolls. These sushi snacks are a fun and adventurous way to enjoy California Avocados.
One thing I love most about these Avocado Sushi Snacks is that all of the ingredients can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge or pantry, so assembly is easy whenever a craving strikes. Help with storing avocados.
Start with sheets of roasted seaweed snacks laid out on a plate or cutting board. Top with a spoonful of room temperature day-old rice:
Next, drape lime-drizzled slices of California Avocados over the rice (2 slices per snack):
Finally, add toppings to taste:
Flaky sea salt is a simple, but delicious topping that brings out the rich, grassy green flavors of the avocado. Take things to the next level with sliced scallion greens and torn cilantro. Sambal oelek is a fiery Southeast Asian condiment made with chiles and garlic. Just a dab or two here would be perfect for someone who loves heat. Furikake is a Japanese seasoning blend typically made with dried fish, sesame seeds, chopped seaweed, sugar and salt. Simply shake some on to amp up saltiness and umami. Sriracha mayo is the only topping that requires a little prep. Stir together mayo, sriracha, lime juice and salt, and you’ve got a tangy sauce that pairs beautifully with the avocado. You can mix and match these toppings to taste!
California Avocado Sushi Snacks Recipe
Makes: 2 servings (scales up or down easily)
1 Ripe California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced thin (preferably firm ripe)
12 roasted seaweed snacks
3/4 cup day-old rice, at room temperature
Toppings: flaky sea salt, sliced scallion greens, torn cilantro leaves, sambal oelek, toasted sesame seeds, furikake and sriracha mayo*
- Sprinkle avocado slices with lime juice and set aside.
- Arrange roasted seaweed snacks in an even layer on 2 plates. Top each piece of seaweed with a scant tablespoon of rice, then 2 slices of avocado.
- Finish each snack with any combination of the toppings mentioned above. I would recommend sea salt with scallions and cilantro, sriracha mayo with toasted sesame seeds, sambal oelek with scallions and furikake as is. Season to taste with flaky sea salt as needed. Enjoy immediately. The seaweed will soften over time, so the snacks are best prepared fresh.
*To make sriracha mayo, stir together 1/3 cup mayo, 2 tablespoons sriracha and 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice. Season to taste with salt.