Ceviche Tostados with California Avocado
|4||lb.||cod filet, 1/2" dice|
|2||tomatoes, halved, seeded, cut into thin strips|
|1||red onion, thinly sliced|
|2||bunches||cilantro, (4 cups), roughly chopped|
|1||tsp.||ground black pepper|
|Salt, to taste|
|4||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed|
|As needed||Lime juice|
|24||crispy 6-inch corn tostados|
|2||hearts of romaine 4 cups, cut into shreds|
|Leche de Tigre , (recipe follows)|
|Pickled jalapeno peppers, optional, for garnish|
|Leche de Tigre (Yield: 4 cups)|
|2||habanero peppers, charred|
|1||cup||red onion, roughly chopped|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Leche de Tigre:
- Puree the lime juice, charred habanero, garlic, cilantro stems, salt, sugar and 8 ice cubes in a blender until smooth. Add onion and pulse 3-4 more times. Set a fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl and strain the liquid through the sieve. Discard solids.
- Fill a large pot fitted with a steamer basket with water to a depth of 1 inch and bring to a boil.
- Set up a bowl with ice cubes and lime juice – just enough to cool down the fish quickly to stop the cooking.
- Turn off the heat on the boiling water and drop the diced fish into the steamer basket. Stir fish gently until the edges are opaque and still virtually raw in the center. Strain the fish quickly and add to the ice/lime juice mixture, stirring gently until fish is cold. Strain the fish, discarding the ice and liquid.
- Pour the Leche de Tigre over the fish. Cover and marinate for 10 minutes. Add the tomato, red onion, cilantro, oregano and black pepper to the fish. Season with salt as needed.
- Season the mashed avocado with lime juice and salt to taste.
- Spread about 3 Tbsp. of mashed avocado on each tostado. Top each with 1/3 cup of the ceviche, then 2 Tbsp. of shredded romaine lettuce.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.