These zesty sliders pack a ton of taste into a small package: juicy steak and creamy avocado aioli topped with crunchy tempura fried avocado, all in a two-bite sandwich!
Chipotle Steak Sliders with Avocado Tempura and Avocado-Fennel Aioli
IngredientsChipotle Steak Sliders Ingredients Chipotle steak marinade (see recipe below) 2 lb. skirt steak, flank steak or flat iron steak Tempura batter (see recipe below) Avocado-fennel aioli (see recipe below) 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded peeled and cut into 12 wedges 12 slider buns or small sweet bread rolls Chipotle Steak Marinade Ingredients 3 chipotle chiles with adobo sauce 1 bunch cilantro, trimmed of stems 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste 1/4 cup lime juice 2 cups orange juice 1/2 cup brown sugar 2 Tbsp. honey 1 pinch salt 10 cloves garlic Avocado Fennel Aioli Ingredients 3 ripe Fresh California Avocados 1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/4 cup chopped basil 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced 1 bulb fennel 2 Tbsp. fennel seed As needed Salt and pepper, to taste Tempura Batter Ingredients 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup cornstarch 1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. sugar 1/2 tsp. salt 1 egg 2/3 cup ice water
Chipotle Steak Sliders Instructions
- Make steak marinade and marinate steak for at least 24 hours.
- Make aioli the day before to let flavors come together; refrigerate.
- Pour marinade over steak and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours and up to 2 days. Grill steak to desired temperature; let rest and slice.
- Simultaneously tempura fry the avocado.
- Put together the sliders by spreading the aioli on top and bottom of buns, place sliced steak over the aioli and top with the tempura-fried avocado.
Chipotle Steak Marinade Instructions
- Make steak marinade by combining chiles, cilantro, tomato paste, lime juice, orange juice, brown sugar, honey, salt and garlic. Puree all in a blender until smooth. Marinade may be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for 8 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Avocado Fennel Aioli Instructions
- Make the aioli the day before serving to let flavors come together. Slice the fennel bulb and caramelize on low heat in a medium sauté pan.
- In a bowl mash the avocados with a fork.
- Combine the caramelized fennel, mashed avocado, sour cream, mayonnaise, basil, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño and fennel seed in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt & pepper; refrigerate until ready to use.
Tempura Batter Instructions
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg slightly and mix with the ice water. Add a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Stir only until mixed; batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Dip avocado wedges into the batter and deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Yield (Liquid): 4 cups steak marinade and 1 qt. avocado-fennel aioli
Copyright © 2009 Terra Restaurant & Catering
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados