These zesty sliders pack a ton of taste into a small package: juicy steak and creamy aioli topped with crunchy avocado tempura, all in a two-bite sandwich!
Chipotle Steak Sliders with Avocado Tempura and Avocado-Fennel Aioli
|Chipotle Steak Sliders Ingredients|
|Chipotle steak marinade (see recipe below)|
|2||lb.||skirt steak, flank steak or flat iron steak|
|Tempura batter (see recipe below)|
|Avocado-fennel aioli (see recipe below)|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded peeled and cut into 12 wedges|
|12||slider buns or small sweet bread rolls|
|Chipotle Steak Marinade Ingredients|
|3||chipotle chiles with adobo sauce|
|1||bunch||cilantro, trimmed of stems|
|1||(6-oz.) can tomato paste|
|Avocado Fennel Aioli Ingredients|
|3||ripe Fresh California Avocados|
|1||jalapeno, seeded and minced|
|As needed||Salt and pepper, to taste|
|Tempura Batter Ingredients|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Chipotle Steak Sliders Instructions
- Make steak marinade and marinate steak for at least 24 hours.
- Make aioli the day before to let flavors come together; refrigerate.
- Pour marinade over steak and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours and up to 2 days. Grill steak to desired temperature; let rest and slice.
- Simultaneously tempura fry the avocado.
- Put together the sliders by spreading the aioli on top and bottom of buns, place sliced steak over the aioli and top with the tempura-fried avocado.
Chipotle Steak Marinade Instructions
- Make steak marinade by combining chiles, cilantro, tomato paste, lime juice, orange juice, brown sugar, honey, salt and garlic. Puree all in a blender until smooth. Marinade may be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for 8 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Avocado Fennel Aioli Instructions
- Make the aioli the day before serving to let flavors come together. Slice the fennel bulb and caramelize on low heat in a medium sauté pan.
- In a bowl mash the avocados with a fork.
- Combine the caramelized fennel, mashed avocado, sour cream, mayonnaise, basil, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño and fennel seed in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt & pepper; refrigerate until ready to use.
Tempura Batter Instructions
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg slightly and mix with the ice water. Add a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Stir only until mixed; batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Dip avocado wedges into the batter and deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Yield (Liquid): 4 cups steak marinade and 1 qt. avocado-fennel aioli
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2009 Terra Restaurant & Catering