Chorizo California Avocado Egg Roll
IngredientsYield: 12 shared appetizer plates (3 rolls per plate) Chorizo Filling, (recipe follows) 5 Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, pitted, sliced 36 egg roll wrappers 2 eggs, beaten (for egg wash) As needed vegetable oil for frying 3 cups pico de gallo (salsa fresca) 1 1/2 cups chipotle buttermilk ranch dressing Chorizo Filling (Yield: 9 cups) 1 3/4 ground pork 3 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder 2 1/2 Tbsp. Paprika 3 1/2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. ground black pepper 2 tsp. ground cumin 2 Tbsp. minced garlic 1/2 cup white vinegar 2 3/4 cups black beans (19 oz.) 2 3/4 cups corn kernels (16 ½ oz.)
- Mix pork, spices, garlic and vinegar in a bowl to combine. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the pork mixture and cook until thoroughly cooked through, 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and stir in black beans and corn.
- Lay out one egg roll wrapper at a time and scoop ¼ cup Chorizo Filling into the center of the wrapper. Place 2-3 slices of avocado on top of the chorizo. Using a brush, egg wash the edges of the egg roll wrapper. Roll the egg roll, removing excess air. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350°F. Fry the egg rolls in batches until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the egg rolls in half on the bias. Place 3 egg rolls (6 halves) on each plate along with ¼ cup pico de gallo and 2 Tbsp. chipotle buttermilk ranch dressing and serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados