Crab and California Avocado Salad En Gelee
|3||cups||Chicken stock, divided|
|30||fresh basil leaves|
|1||Lemon grass stalk - about 9 inches|
|1||Lemon, large, peeled, sliced|
|1||Serrano chili pepper - about 5 inches long|
|Plain gelatin - 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon (2 envelopes)|
|1 1/2||lb.||Cooked crab meat ( 4 cups)|
|3||Tbsp.||Light soy sauce|
|As needed||Lemon oil -- for garnish|
|As needed||Salt and freshly ground black pepper - for garnish|
|As needed||Lemon slices - for garnish|
|As needed||Fresh basil leaves - for garnish|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Bring to a boil 2 cups stock, basil, lemon grass, lemon and chili; then steep, covered, about 20 minutes. Strain through a coffee filter. Meanwhile sprinkle gelatin on remaining 1 cup cool stock; let stand 1 minute, add to strained stock mixture; then heat, stirring until gelatin just dissolves.
- Pour into a 9″ x 12″ pan; chill to set. Reserve; then cut into small dice just before service.
- Mix crab meat with vinegar and soy sauce. Reserve.
- Crosswise, thinly slice each avocado half, keeping slices for each avocado together. Line each of 12 small round molds or bowls (about 1 cup and 4 inches in diameter) with plastic film. Then line each mold with 1 sliced avocado, overlapping slices starting at centers of bowls. Divide crab mixture among them, packing meat in. Chill.
- PER ORDER
- Unmold 1 salad. Scatter about 1/4 cup diced gelatin around mold. Season avocado with drops of lemon oil, coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh basil.