Crab and California Avocado Salad En Gelee
Ingredients3 cups Chicken stock, divided 30 fresh basil leaves 1 Lemon grass stalk - about 9 inches 1 Lemon, large, peeled, sliced 1 Serrano chili pepper - about 5 inches long Plain gelatin - 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon (2 envelopes) 1 1/2 lb. Cooked crab meat ( 4 cups) 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar 3 Tbsp. Light soy sauce 6 lb. California Avocados As needed Lemon oil -- for garnish As needed Salt and freshly ground black pepper - for garnish As needed Lemon slices - for garnish As needed Fresh basil leaves - for garnish
- Bring to a boil 2 cups stock, basil, lemon grass, lemon and chili; then steep, covered, about 20 minutes. Strain through a coffee filter. Meanwhile sprinkle gelatin on remaining 1 cup cool stock; let stand 1 minute, add to strained stock mixture; then heat, stirring until gelatin just dissolves.
- Pour into a 9″ x 12″ pan; chill to set. Reserve; then cut into small dice just before service.
- Mix crab meat with vinegar and soy sauce. Reserve.
- Crosswise, thinly slice each avocado half, keeping slices for each avocado together. Line each of 12 small round molds or bowls (about 1 cup and 4 inches in diameter) with plastic film. Then line each mold with 1 sliced avocado, overlapping slices starting at centers of bowls. Divide crab mixture among them, packing meat in. Chill.
- PER ORDER
- Unmold 1 salad. Scatter about 1/4 cup diced gelatin around mold. Season avocado with drops of lemon oil, coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh basil.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados