Farmshop’s California Avocado Hummus with Pistachio Salsa Verde
Ingredients6 oz. dried chickpeas As needed baking soda 3 Tbsp. ice, crushed 1/4 cup tahini, (2 oz.) 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, (2 oz.) 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, (6 oz.) 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded Pistachio Salsa Verde, (recipe follows) Nigella seeds, for garnish Assorted vegetables, prepped for serving Flatbread, or lavash Za'atar, if desired Pistachio Salsa Verde (Yield: ¾ cup) 1/3 cup raw pistachios, (1-¾ oz.) 1 Tbsp. lemon zest, grated 3 Tbsp. chives, (¼ oz.), sliced 3 Tbsp. parsley, (¼ oz.), chopped Fleur de sel, to taste 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Yield: 4 cups
- Place dried chickpeas in a strainer and wash under cold running water, removing any foreign matter or damaged chickpeas. Transfer to a large bowl or pot, cover well with cold water, add a pinch of baking soda and soak overnight. Drain chickpeas and wash again under cold running water. Put chickpeas in a large pot and cover completely with water. Add another pinch of baking soda. Set pot over moderate heat and bring water to a low boil. Reduce to a simmer; skim any foam or skins that rise to the top of the water. Simmer until chickpeas are very soft and can be easily pressed between two fingers (up to 2 hours). Drain chickpeas.
- Place the cooked chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor along with the crushed ice. Pulse until a smooth paste forms.
- Add tahini and pulse until smooth, then add the lemon juice. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow stream.
- Add the avocados and pulse until the mixture is a smooth paste. Add salt to taste.
Pistachio Salsa Verde:
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spread the pistachios on a baking sheet and bake them until they are lightly toasted, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove pistachios from the oven, and lightly chop them while still warm. Add the lemon zest to the warm pistachios, along with the chives and parsley.
- Mix well and season with salt. Mix in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Pour avocado hummus into a serving bowl. Distribute Pistachio Salsa Verde over the top. Sprinkle with Nigella seeds. Serve with assorted vegetables and flatbread or lavash seasoned with za’atar.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados