Farmshop’s California Avocado Hummus with Pistachio Salsa Verde
|As needed||baking soda|
|1/4||cup||tahini, (2 oz.)|
|1/4||cup||fresh lemon juice, (2 oz.)|
|3/4||cup||extra virgin olive oil, (6 oz.)|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded|
|Pistachio Salsa Verde, (recipe follows)|
|Nigella seeds, for garnish|
|Assorted vegetables, prepped for serving|
|Flatbread, or lavash|
|Za'atar, if desired|
|Pistachio Salsa Verde (Yield: ¾ cup)|
|1/3||cup||raw pistachios, (1-¾ oz.)|
|1||Tbsp.||lemon zest, grated|
|3||Tbsp.||chives, (¼ oz.), sliced|
|3||Tbsp.||parsley, (¼ oz.), chopped|
|Fleur de sel, to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Yield: 4 cups
- Place dried chickpeas in a strainer and wash under cold running water, removing any foreign matter or damaged chickpeas. Transfer to a large bowl or pot, cover well with cold water, add a pinch of baking soda and soak overnight. Drain chickpeas and wash again under cold running water. Put chickpeas in a large pot and cover completely with water. Add another pinch of baking soda. Set pot over moderate heat and bring water to a low boil. Reduce to a simmer; skim any foam or skins that rise to the top of the water. Simmer until chickpeas are very soft and can be easily pressed between two fingers (up to 2 hours). Drain chickpeas.
- Place the cooked chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor along with the crushed ice. Pulse until a smooth paste forms.
- Add tahini and pulse until smooth, then add the lemon juice. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow stream.
- Add the avocados and pulse until the mixture is a smooth paste. Add salt to taste.
Pistachio Salsa Verde:
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spread the pistachios on a baking sheet and bake them until they are lightly toasted, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove pistachios from the oven, and lightly chop them while still warm. Add the lemon zest to the warm pistachios, along with the chives and parsley.
- Mix well and season with salt. Mix in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Pour avocado hummus into a serving bowl. Distribute Pistachio Salsa Verde over the top. Sprinkle with Nigella seeds. Serve with assorted vegetables and flatbread or lavash seasoned with za’atar.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.