There are some things that just scream summer to me, and California Avocados, garden-grown tomatoes, strawberries, peaches, and sweet corn are some of my favorites. I could gorge myself on any and all of those items all summer long and not tire of them because they taste so good. One of the ways that I love to enjoy summer produce is through grilling it. I love having people over during the summer, and grilling is an easy way to feed a crowd. My favorite way to eat corn is to boil it first, then finish by giving it a quick char on the grill.
This method keeps it juicy, gives it the wonderful smoky flavor that comes with grilling, but is quicker than cooking it completely on the grill.
If you combine the grilled corn with a California Avocado crema, then you are in for a real summer treat and your guests will be hoping for their next invite after eating it. In Mexican cooking, crema is typically used as a garnish, and is a bit like a cross between heavy cream and sour cream.
By blending it with ripe California Avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and salt, it is transformed into a rich, decadent sauce that is even better than butter on the corn. It would also be delicious spread on a burger or served with crudité for dipping.
Really, you can’t go wrong with this California Avocado crema, but do yourself a favor and start by eating it with some grilled corn!
Grilled Corn with California Avocado Crema Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 7–10 minutes
Total time: 17–20 minutes
1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled
½ cup crema or sour cream
¼ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
½ tsp. fine grain sea salt
8 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
Chopped cilantro to garnish
- Combine the avocado, crema, cilantro, lime juice, and sea salt in a blender, food processor, or immersion blender cup and puree until smooth and creamy, stopping and scraping down the sides of the blending container with a rubber spatula as needed. Transfer the crema to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring the water to a boil, and then add the corn to the pot. When the water returns to a boil, cook the corn for 5 minutes.
- Remove the corn from the pot and shake off the excess water. Place the corn on the grill over direct heat. Turn the cobs of corn every minute or so, cooking them just long enough to char them slightly. Remove the corn from the grill and cool slightly.
- Serve the corn with the avocado crema, lime wedges and cilantro.