This unique blend of California Avocados, carrots and kumquats topped with a simple vinaigrette and Indian spices offers you and your guests a refreshing salad that’s perfect for a summer get-together.
California Avocado & Carrot Salad with Indian Spices
Total Time: 1 h
Vitamin A 8676 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 60 mg; Iron 1.6 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 60 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 40%; Vitamin A 170%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 6%; Iron 8%
Ingredients24 baby carrots, cleaned well (assorted colors, if available) 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil As needed Salt, to taste As needed Pepper, to taste 1/4 cup thinly sliced kumquats 1/4 cup cilantro leaves 1/4 cup Shallot Vinaigrette (see make-ahead recipe below) 1/4 cup Indian Spiced Yogurt (see make-ahead recipe below) 1 ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and quartered 1/4 cup crushed toasted almonds 2 Tbsp. honey (orange-scented, if available) Shallot Vinaigrette 2 Tbsp. finely minced shallots 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 1 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper 3/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil Indian Spiced Yogurt 1 red pepper, seeded and diced 1 Tbsp. peeled and minced ginger 1 Tbsp. mustard seed 1/8 tsp. whole black pepper 1 tsp. coriander seed 1 tsp. cumin seed 2 cloves 2 cardamom pods 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper 1 tsp. salt 1/4 cup water 2 cups yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss 1/4 of the carrots with the oil on a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven to roast until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Remove and let stand.
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice the rest of the carrots very thinly. (Note: This can be done in advance and held in cold water.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the shaved carrots, kumquats, cilantro and the Shallot Vinaigrette and toss well.
- For each serving, spread 2 tablespoons of the Indian Spiced Yogurt on the plate and spread into a thin layer using a spoon.
- Place an avocado quarter on one side of the yogurt spread, and one roasted carrot on the other side of the yogurt spread.
- Place even amounts of the carrot and kumquat salad on top of the yogurt on each plate. 7. Sprinkle almonds and honey over the top.
Shallot Vinaigrette Instructions
- Combine the shallots, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the oil.
- Sauté the pepper in olive oil until soft, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add the water and cook 15 minutes.
- Blend and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Mix in the yogurt.
- This recipe will give you more than you need but it makes a great topping for grilled avocados or fish.
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2012, Trey Foshee
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados