This unique blend of California Avocados, carrots and kumquats topped with a simple vinaigrette and Indian spices offers you and your guests a refreshing salad that’s perfect for a summer get-together.
Indian Spiced California Avocado and Carrot Salad
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|24||baby carrots, cleaned well (assorted colors, if available)|
|2||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
|As needed||Pepper, to taste|
|1/4||cup||thinly sliced kumquats|
|1/4||cup||Shallot Vinaigrette (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|1/4||cup||Indian Spiced Yogurt (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|1||ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and quartered|
|1/4||cup||crushed toasted almonds|
|2||Tbsp.||honey (orange-scented, if available)|
|2||Tbsp.||finely minced shallots|
|1/4||cup||white wine vinegar|
|1/4||tsp.||ground white pepper|
|3/4||cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|Indian Spiced Yogurt|
|1||red pepper, seeded and diced|
|1||Tbsp.||peeled and minced ginger|
|1/8||tsp.||whole black pepper|
|1/8||tsp.||crushed red pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss 1/4 of the carrots with the oil on a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven to roast until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Remove and let stand.
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice the rest of the carrots very thinly. (Note: This can be done in advance and held in cold water.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the shaved carrots, kumquats, cilantro and the Shallot Vinaigrette and toss well.
- For each serving, spread 2 tablespoons of the Indian Spiced Yogurt on the plate and spread into a thin layer using a spoon.
- Place an avocado quarter on one side of the yogurt spread, and one roasted carrot on the other side of the yogurt spread.
- Place even amounts of the carrot and kumquat salad on top of the yogurt on each plate. 7. Sprinkle almonds and honey over the top.
Shallot Vinaigrette Instructions
- Combine the shallots, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the oil.
- Sauté the pepper in olive oil until soft, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add the water and cook 15 minutes.
- Blend and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Mix in the yogurt.
- This recipe will give you more than you need but it makes a great topping for grilled avocados or fish.
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2012, Trey Foshee
Vitamin A 8676 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 60 mg; Iron 1.6 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 60 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 40%; Vitamin A 170%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 6%; Iron 8%