Written by our friend Rachel Mathews
Summer is nearly here, and with the long, lazy days of summer comes picnics, splash-filled days at the pool, and a constant stream of hungry kids through my house.
I love having healthy, easy, yummy snacks that the kids can grab and snack on while sitting around a picnic table, on a blanket under the trees, lounging in a hammock with their friends, or while dipping their toes in cold water.
One of the tricks with grab and go snacks, is making sure that they appeal to their sense of fun and their taste-buds, while satisfying my desire for good fuel for their bodies.
This is where Avocado Hummus comes into the picture. Avocado Hummus is one of my favorite quick and easy go-to recipes for any time of year and any occasion. It’s perfect for summer snacking when paired with sliced veggies and placed containers for taking on the go!
The green color that the California Avocados lends to the hummus, paired with crisp, bright veggies and pita chips appeals to kids sense of fun, and the light addition of garlic adds just enough flavor to satisfy kids from 2 to 102. I like to sprinkle a little crushed red pepper in my Avocado Hummus, but most kid’s taste-buds aren’t quite up to that yet.
This recipe comes together in under 10 minutes, and can be served immediately, or spread into containers and prepped for later.
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO HUMMUS
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 (15-oz) can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ripe, fresh California avocados, seeded and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Place the beans, California Avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and kosher salt into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Slowly drizzle in the Olive Oil and pulse until blended
- Serve immediately with veggies or pita chips
To Make the California Avocado Veggie Cups
- Place several Tablespoons of California Avocado Hummus in the bottom of a to-go cup or container and stick your favorite dipping veggies into the hummus and off you go!
- My favorite veggies with this hummus are carrot sticks, sliced bell peppers, snap peas, celery, cherry tomatoes