King Salmon Crudo with California Avocado
|8||oz.||King Salmon meat (belly meat preferred), sliced on the bias into 12 slices|
|As needed||Sea Salt and Fennel Pollen Crackers (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Pickled Fresno Chilies (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Avocado Relish (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Black Garlic Emulsion (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Olive Tapenade (recipe follows)|
|Sea Salt and Fennel Pollen Crackers|
|1/2||oz.||active dry yeast|
|2||Tbsp.||olive oil, plus additional for coating the bowl|
|As needed||sea salt and fennel pollen as needed for dusting|
|Pickled Fresno Chilies|
|1||Fresno chili, sliced into 12 very thin slices|
|1/4||cup||or more seasoned rice vinegar|
|Avocado Relish (Yield: 3 cups)|
|3||Fresh California Avocados, peeled, pitted, diced small|
|Black Garlic Emulsion (Yield: 1 cup)|
|1||head black garlic, peeled|
|1||oz.||seasoned rice vinegar|
|1||oz.||lemon agrumato olive oil|
|As needed||2 to 3 oz. ice water|
|Olive Tapenade (Yield: 1/2 cup)|
|15||Picholine olives, pitted and finely chopped|
|2||Tbsp.||capers, finely chopped|
|1||Tbsp.||agrumato olive oil|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Sea Salt and Fennel Pollen Crackers:
- Heat water to 105 degrees. Add yeast and let sit for 5-10 minutes until yeast is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining ingredients to a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add the yeast mixture. Mix on medium low speed for 10 minutes. Remove bowl from mixer, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a draft free, warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough and divide into 6 oz. portions. (You will have 3 portions with a little extra left over). Coat 3 small bowls with olive oil, and add each scaled out portion to the bowls. Cover each with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Roll out dough out very thin and large enough to cover the back of a half sheet pan.
- Coat the back of a sheet pan with olive oil and place the rolled out dough on top. Brush the dough with olive oil. Then, sprinkle with sea salt and fennel pollen.
- Repeat with remaining dough pieces. Score strips vertically and horizontally onto each sheet with a pizza cutter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Let cool, then break crackers apart where they have been scored. Set aside.
Pickled Fresno Chilies:
- Blanch the chili slices in very hot water 3 times, draining well after the last blanch. Cover chilies with the seasoned rice vinegar, adding enough to cover completely. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together carefully, being sure not to mash the diced avocado. Set aside.
Black Garlic Emulsion:
- Place the peeled garlic into a blender and pulse a few times. Add remaining ingredients, blending to emulsify. Add more water if needed. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together. Set aside.
- For each plate: Form 3- ¼ cup quenelles with the avocado relish and place on a rectangular plate. Place one slice of salmon on top of each quenelle. Top each slice of salmon with one slice of Fresno chili. Top each chili slice with ½ tsp. of the tapenade. Drizzle a small amount of the black garlic emulsion along the length of the plate. Lean one cracker against each quenelle. Drizzle the salmon with Agrumato oil and sprinkle with sea salt (or smoked sea salt). Serve.