Mini Beef Tacos with Citrus Salsa
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks (8 ounces each)|
|12||corn tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter)|
|As needed||Salt and pepper|
|1||Tbsp.||Finely chopped jalapeno pepper|
|2||tsp.||red wine vinegar|
|1||Tbsp.||chopped fresh cilantro|
|1/2||tsp.||grated orange peel|
|1/2||cup||mashed ripe Fresh California Avocado|
|1||Tbsp.||low-fat dairy sour cream|
|1||tsp.||grated orange peel|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Combine Citrus Salsa ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
- Combine Avocado Cream ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
- Combine Rub ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Transfer steaks to carving board.
- Meanwhile, cut 1 “mini tortilla” from each tortilla with 4-inch diameter cookie cutter. Discard tortilla scraps or save for another use. Lightly brush both sides of mini tortillas with oil. Grill over medium heat 1 to 3 minutes or until lightly crisp, turning once.
- Carve steaks lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Top each mini tortilla with equal amounts of avocado cream, beef slices and salsa. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Tip: To pan-broil steaks, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Cook’s Tip: Four-inch mini corn tortillas are occasionally available in Hispanic markets and some large supermarkets.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
1.7 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 1.3 mg iron; 12.4 mcg selenium; 3.0 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of vitaminB12 and zinc; and a good source of fiber, protein, vitaminB6 and selenium.