California salutes our neighbor to the north with this California twist on a Portland favorite, the porchetta sandwich. One serving has 20 grams of protein and is an excellent source of vitamins C and K, as well as folate and manganese. You also get a good source of potassium, iron, and B6.
Portland Porchetta Sandwich With California Avocados
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||green onion, quartered|
|4||small artisan rolls or 2 long pretzel buns, split|
|8||oz.||warm roast Porchetta slices*|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|Ingredients for Roast Porchetta|
|1||(2.5 lb.) boneless pork loin roast, trimmed|
|1||(5 lb. or larger) piece of skin-on pork belly (large enough to wrap around the roast|
|As needed||sea salt|
|4||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/3||cup||minced fresh fennel fronds|
|2||Tbsp.||Red pepper flakes|
|2||Tbsp.||minced fresh sage leaves|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh thyme leaves (remove from stems)|
|2||medium seedless oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds|
|As needed||Kitchen twine|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a blender or food processor combine tomatoes, garlic, capers, sage, parsley and green onion. Pulse until it has a pesto-like consistency.
- Spread tomato mixture on the insides of the rolls.
- Mash half the avocado slices on the bottom halves of the rolls.
- Top with warm Porchetta, remaining avocado slices and the roll tops.
* Purchase cooked Porchetta in the deli or to make roast Porchetta follow the recipe below. For best results start at least 1 to 2 days ahead.
** Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Instructions for Roast Porchetta:
- Test wrapping the pork belly, skin side out, around the roast. Make sure the roast will be covered all the way around and then trim any excess belly or roast.
- Score the inside of the pork belly in a ½-inch cross hatch pattern. Turn the belly over and aggressively hammer the skin side with the pointed side of a meat mallet, or use an ice pick or sharp knife to poke lots of little holes in the skin. Generously rub both cuts of meat with the sea salt. Set aside.
- Combine the garlic, fennel, red pepper flakes, sage and thyme. Rub on all sides of the roast and the inside of the pork belly. Place the orange slices in a single layer on the inside of the pork belly.
- Place the roast on top of the orange slices, then wrap the pork belly around the roast. Secure with kitchen twine. Place on a rack in a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, then place uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours for the skin to dry out. If you notice moisture on the skin, blot with paper towels and then rub with additional sea salt.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Insert a meat thermometer probe into the center of the roast from one end. Roast for 20 minutes. Turn roast over and roast an additional 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Turn the Porchetta over again, then roast until the thermometer registers 145 degrees F, approximately 1 ½ hours. Remove from oven and let rest at least 20 minutes before slicing.
Vitamin A 387 IU; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 54 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 102 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10%