Red potatoes, chiles and onion roast together in the oven to bring out a caramelized flavor that combines beautifully with Fresh California Avocados to make a delicious vegan potato salad.
Roasted Potato Salad with California Avocados and Caramelized Onions
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||lb.||small red potatoes, cleaned|
|1||yellow onion, peeled and cut in wedges|
|2||large jalapeño peppers, cleaned and left whole|
|2||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2||Tbsp.||salt, plus additional to taste|
|2||ripe, large Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and mashed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil if desired.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, onion wedges, jalapeños, olive oil and salt. Toss to coat vegetables evenly with oil.
- Place vegetables on the baking sheet and put in oven. Roast vegetables for about 40 minutes, checking and turning every 10 minutes. Let the onion pieces caramelize and the peppers char, but remove from oven if they start to look like they will burn.
- Place peppers in a paper bag or small bowl with a lid to let the steam loosen their outer peel. Roasting time for the potatoes varies considerably depending on their size. Test for doneness by piercing one potato with a fork. The fork should slide in with gentle resistance. Continue roasting until done, then remove to a heat-safe bowl to cool.
- Place caramelized onions in a large bowl.
- Peel the outer layer of from the peppers and discard. Remove stems and seeds (keep some seeds for a spicier potato salad), and then dice. Add to bowl.
- Cut potatoes in bite-sized pieces (quarter or dice depending on size of potato). Add to bowl.
- Stir in mashed avocado, adjust salt to taste and serve.
Serving Suggestion: If made in advance, sprinkle generously with lemon juice and place a layer of plastic wrap right on the surface of the Roasted Potato Salad with California Avocados and Caramelized Onions and refrigerate. Before serving taste the salad and add additional mashed California Avocado if needed. Garnish with fresh basil or serve as is!
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 102 (IU); Vitamin C 21 mg; Calcium 24 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 58 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.07 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%