Spicy ginger kale and sautéed salmon marry perfectly with a tangy shiitake mushroom relish and creamy California avocado hollandaise.
Salmon and Brown Rice Bowl with California Avocado Hollandaise, Shiitake Relish and Ginger Kale
|1||cup||brown rice (preferably Sukoyaka)|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|2||Tbsp.||grated fresh ginger|
|3||Tbsp.||rice wine vinegar|
|1||Tbsp.||white (shiro) miso|
|4||(4-oz.) portions of wild salmon (preferably Bristol Bay Sockeye)|
|2||Tbsp.||sesame seeds, toasted|
|4||oz.||kale, washed, stemmed and torn into bite size pieces|
|California Avocado Hollandaise (see recipe below)|
|Shiitake Mushroom Relish (see make ahead recipe, below)|
|3/4||lb.||shiitake mushroom caps, wiped clean|
|1||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced|
|2||tsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|California Avocado Hollandaise|
|1||cup||rice wine vinegar|
|8||oz.||(2 sticks) butter, melted and hot|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded, and pureed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash rice in a bowl in the sink until the water runs clear.
- Combine shallot, garlic, ginger, red wine vinegar, miso and tahini in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Gradually add canola oil until incorporated, and then salt. Set aside.
- Brush the salmon portions with olive oil and coat with sesame seeds.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, sear the salmon flesh side down for three minutes, then flip and sear for 2 additional minutes until done.
- Put the kale in a bowl and toss ginger dressing to coat the leaves.
- To serve, divide the rice among 4 deep bowls, and ladle 3 oz. of hollandaise over each bowl.
- Top rice with ginger-dressed kale, sautéed salmon and shiitake relish, dividing everything evenly. Enjoy!
- Put the mushroom caps on a baking sheet and toss them with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread them out evenly then roast in the oven until tender and browned, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Thinly slice the caps and put them in a bow and allow to cool.
- Add the parsley, avocado, vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Taste and season again with salt and pepper (if needed).
- Set aside at room temperature.
California Avocado Hollandaise
- Place shallot in a saucepan over medium high heat and add the vinegar, allowing the mixture to reduce until only a few tablespoons of syrupy liquid remains.
- Cool mixture, and then pour into a metal bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, whisking until incorporated.
- Place bowl over a double boiler of simmering water, and begin drizzling in the hot melted butter, slowly and gradually, until emulsified.
- Whisk in the avocado puree, season with salt and lemon juice.
- Keep warm until ready to serve. (A thermos is great for this.)
Serving Suggestion: This bowl is perfect for lunch or dinner- just add dessert!
Beverage Pairing: Sake or sweet plum wine.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.