These vegan key lime pie bars have a cool silky texture atop a sweet, crumbly and buttery, grain-free crust. These tasty treats are cholesterol free and provide and excellent source (20% Daily Value) of vitamin E, an antioxidant.
Vegan, Grain-Free Key Lime Pie Bars with California Avocados
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|For the Crust:|
|1 1/2||cups||super-fine blanched almond flour|
|3||Tbsp.||unrefined coconut oil, melted|
|2||Tbsp.||pure maple syrup|
|For the Filling:|
|1||cup||raw cashews, soaked in advance if possible|
|1/2||cup||coconut cream from 1 (15-oz.) chilled can full-fat coconut milk*|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled|
|1/4||cup||pure maple syrup|
|1/4||cup||fresh lime juice|
|1||lime, zest only|
|1||tsp.||pure vanilla extract|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8”×8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and salt until well combined.
- Transfer this mixture to the parchment-lined baking pan. Top with another piece of parchment paper and use the bottom of a cup to flatten the mixture so it is in one even layer covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before adding the filling.
- Pour filling over the top the cooled pie crust and place the baking pan on a flat surface in your freezer.
- Allow to freeze for four hours before slicing and enjoying.
- If the bars have been in your freezer for longer than four hours you may need to allow them to soften at room temperature for a couple minutes before slicing and enjoying. The bars will start to melt a little bit at room temperature after about 20 minutes so store them in your freezer until just before you plan to serve.
- Add soaked cashews, coconut cream, avocado, maple syrup, lime zest, lime juice, arrowroot starch, vanilla and salt to a high-speed blender.
- Blend on the highest speed for one minute. Scrape down the sides if needed and re-blend to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- You can top them off with homemade coconut whipped cream for an airy, sweet, cool and creamy finish.
NOTES: Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in your refrigerator 24 hours in advance of making this recipe. When you open the can the solid white coconut cream will naturally float to the top of the can (leaving the coconut water at the bottom of the can). Use a spoon to carefully separate the solid white coconut cream from the coconut water below it. This recipe only uses the white coconut solid portion. You can save the coconut water for smoothies.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a homemade, or store bought, whipped cream of choice and sprinkle of lime zest. The author garnished each bar with a fresh lime slice.
Beverage Pairing: Pair this dessert with a cold glass of almond milk, or milk of choice for a cool and creamy finish.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 1 mcg; Vitamin C 3 mg; Calcium 36 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 16 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.02 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%; Vitamin D 0%.