This versatile California Avocado Alfredo Pasta recipe is vegan and dairy-free, and can also be made gluten-free – making it a crowd-pleasing meal for Meatless Monday, or any gathering. The vegan avocado pasta sauce can be used with spaghetti or any pasta you choose.
California Avocado Alfredo Pasta
Total Time: 1 h
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 12 mcg; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 56 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 132 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.08 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 4%; Iron 20%; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients2 Tbsp. coconut oil 1 large yellow onion, sliced into thin half-moons 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. black pepper, or to taste 2 cups baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, then drained (see note below) 1/2 cup water 1 clove garlic 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast 1/3 cup fresh kale, chopped 1 lb. spaghetti noodles of choice (gluten-free, whole wheat, etc.) 1/8 tsp. fresh parsley, to garnish 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper, to garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Before draining, reserve 1/3 cup starchy cooking water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and cook for 2 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste, then lower the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the onions for an additional 15 minutes, until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of the sautéed onions to a high-speed blender.
- Reheat the skillet back up to medium heat, and add in the mushrooms.
- Cook 5 minutes, then toss and let cook again for another 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In the blender with the onions, add the soaked cashews (see note below), fresh water, garlic clove, lemon juice, California Avocado, nutritional yeast, and chopped kale.
- Turn on low and slowly increase to high until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides or add more water as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta noodles, starchy water, mushroom & onion mixture, and sauce.
- Mix well to evenly coat and then portion into bowls and top with desired garnishes.
Note: If you do not have a high-speed blender, soak your cashews overnight to protect your blender.
Serving Suggestion: Serve on its own, or pair with a refreshing side salad and garlic bread crisps.
Beverage Pairing: A white wine, such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados