With 3 simple ingredients, these truffles are sure to be a favorite and can easily be customized with a variety of your favorite toppings.
3-Ingredient Dark Chocolate California Avocado Truffles
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|6||oz.||high-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped (see notes)|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded peeled and mashed (approx. 3/4 – 1 cup)|
|1/8||tsp.||sea salt (optional)|
|Optional for finishing:|
|Maldon flaked sea salt|
|Hemp seeds or any other nut or seed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a double boiler, melt the roughly chopped chocolate. You can also microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the avocado, vanilla extract and salt (if using) to a large bowl and use an electric hand mixer or add to a food processor. Mash with a fork or process the avocado until there are no more chunks.
- Add the melted chocolate to the bowl (or food processor) with the avocado and mix until well-blended together and there is no avocado visible.
- Chill the mixture for 20-30 minutes until it’s firmed up enough to roll.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball using your palms. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- If using optional finishing, put the cocoa powder, crushed dehydrated raspberries, shredded coconut, etc. on a separate plate or in a shallow bowl. Roll the balls in the cocoa powder until they’re completely covered. Or skip the cocoa powder or raspberries and just sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Will keep for up to 3 days.
Notes: The author prefers 85% dark coconut sugar sweetened chocolate. If you prefer sweeter, look for more like 70% dark or use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Serving Suggestion: If using optional finishing, put the cocoa powder, crushed dehydrated raspberries, shredded coconut, etc. on a separate plate or in a shallow bowl. Roll the balls in the cocoa powder until they’re completely covered. Or skip the cocoa powder or raspberries and just sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
Beverage Pairing: Pair with some refreshing sparkling water, or a glass of dry red wine to enhance the chocolate flavors.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 1 mcg; Vitamin C 1 mg; Calcium 9 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 11 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.02 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 0%; Iron 6 %; Vitamin D 0%.