Fresh California Avocado keeps this quick-bread loaf light and moist, while dark chocolate chips and almonds add a bit of decadence and crunch.
Avocado Pumpkin Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips and Almonds
Total Time: 1 h
Cook Time: 1 h
Vitamin A 2318 IU; Vitamin C 1 mg; Calcium 55 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 5 IU; Folate 27; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.01
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 4%; Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6%
Ingredients1/2 cup Skim milk 1/2 tsp. lemon juice 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 1 Tbsp. baking powder 2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. ground cinnamon 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 4 egg whites 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract 2 large eggs 2/3 cup water 1 (15-oz.) can of unsweetened, puréed pumpkin 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 1/3 cup slivered almonds
(Yields: 2 Loaves)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine milk and lemon juice and let stand.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Whisk together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, avocado, vanilla extract and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer at a high speed until blended.
- Add milk/lemon juice to sugar mixture.
- Add water and canned pumpkin, beating at a low speed until combined together.
- Add flour mixture to above mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don’t over mix).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat two loaf pans (9×5-inch each) with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into pans and fill half-way. Sprinkle almonds evenly over batter.
- Bake loaves for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Note: This recipe also can be used to make muffins. When baking in muffin tins, cook for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces.
Copyright © 2014, Bonnie Taub-Dix
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados