Fresh California Avocado keeps this quick-bread loaf light and moist, while dark chocolate chips and almonds add a bit of decadence and crunch.
Avocado Pumpkin Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips and Almonds
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||cup||whole wheat pastry flour|
|2 1/3||cups||all-purpose flour|
|1 1/4||cups||granulated sugar|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed|
|1||tsp.||pure vanilla extract|
|1||(15-oz.) can of unsweetened, puréed pumpkin|
|1/2||cup||dark chocolate chips|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
(Yields: 2 Loaves)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine milk and lemon juice and let stand.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Whisk together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, avocado, vanilla extract and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer at a high speed until blended.
- Add milk/lemon juice to sugar mixture.
- Add water and canned pumpkin, beating at a low speed until combined together.
- Add flour mixture to above mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don’t over mix).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat two loaf pans (9×5-inch each) with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into pans and fill half-way. Sprinkle almonds evenly over batter.
- Bake loaves for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Note: This recipe also can be used to make muffins. When baking in muffin tins, cook for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces.
Copyright © 2014, Bonnie Taub-Dix
Vitamin A 2318 IU; Vitamin C 1 mg; Calcium 55 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 5 IU; Folate 27; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.01
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 4%; Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6%