Baked California Avocado With Cheese
|4||Fresh California Avocados*, cut in half lengthwise, seeded|
|2||cups||Cheese Filling (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Chianti Glaze, as needed (recipe follows)|
|Cheese Filling (Yield: 2 cups)|
|2||oz.||gorgonzola cheese, crumbled|
|2||oz.||roasted red peppers, finely diced|
|1||oz.||roasted garlic, minced|
|1 1/2||oz.||sun-dried tomatoes, finely diced|
|1 1/2||oz.||prosciutto, finely diced|
|As needed||Salt and pepper to taste|
|Chianti Glaze (Yield: ½ cup)|
|24||oz.||Tuscan-style red wine|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
- Combine the chianti and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens and is reduced to ½ cup. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Score each avocado by making 4 cuts lengthwise through each avocado half without breaking the skin. Make 4 additional cuts crosswise on each avocado half. Place the halves on a baking sheet.
- Stuff each center with ¼ cup of the Cheese Filling.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and avocado is just warm.
- Place two halves on each plate and drizzle each with some of the Chianti Glaze. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.