This cheesy baked California Avocado appetizer with a Chianti glaze is perfect to make for two! If you’re looking for a breakfast baked avocado with eggs option, try our Air Fried Avocado Egg Cups.
Baked California Avocado With Cheese
Ingredients4 Fresh California Avocados*, cut in half lengthwise, seeded 2 cups Cheese Filling (recipe follows) As needed Chianti Glaze, as needed (recipe follows) Cheese Filling (Yield: 2 cups) 4 oz. ricotta cheese 4 oz. mascarpone 2 oz. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled 2 oz. roasted red peppers, finely diced 1 oz. roasted garlic, minced 1 1/2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, finely diced 1 1/2 oz. prosciutto, finely diced As needed Salt and pepper to taste Chianti Glaze (Yield: ½ cup) 24 oz. Tuscan-style red wine 2 oz. honey
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
- Combine the chianti and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens and is reduced to ½ cup. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Score each avocado by making 4 cuts lengthwise through each avocado half without breaking the skin. Make 4 additional cuts crosswise on each avocado half. Place the halves on a baking sheet.
- Stuff each center with ¼ cup of the Cheese Filling.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and avocado is just warm.
- Place two halves on each plate and drizzle each with some of the Chianti Glaze. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados