Homemade tortilla soup with garden-fresh ingredients like tomatoes, onions, garlic and chiles and hearty roasted turkey is especially delicious topped with Fresh California Avocados. It’s a great use for leftover Thanksgiving turkey and also can be made with store-bought rotisserie chicken. This Mexican soup is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber (22% DV) and Vitamin B6 (35% DV),
Tortilla Soup with Roast Turkey, Avocado and Cheddar Cheese
Total Time: 40 min
Vitamin A 1533 IU; Vitamin C 33 mg; Calcium 169 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 8 IU; Folate 70 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.16 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10 %;
Ingredients1/4 tsp. ground cumin (or to taste) 1/2 tsp. chili powder (or to taste) 2 cups roasted or smoked turkey, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes As needed Salt and pepper to taste 1 large, ripe Fresh California Avocado, diced 4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated 1/2 cup olive oil 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips 1 small Spanish yellow onion, chopped 4 cloves garlic, diced 2 Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped 4 medium tomatoes, chopped 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock 1/2 bunch cilantro (optional), washed and chopped 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste) 1/4 tsp. ground cumin (or to taste) 1/4 tsp. chili powder (or to taste) 2 cups roasted or smoked turkey, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes As needed Salt and pepper to taste 1 medium, ripe Fresh California Avocado, diced 4 oz. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- In a two quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat until hot.
- Working in batches, fry tortilla strips until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and reserve.
- Add onion to the same oil and sauté until clear.
- Add garlic and Anaheim chiles, cook until soft but not browned. Drain any excess oil from the pan.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock and chopped cilantro if desired.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a heat-resistant blender or food processor and purée, or use an immersion blender to purée.
- Return soup to pan and add turkey, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and chili powder. Simmer until turkey is hot, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with avocado, cheddar cheese, and reserved crispy tortilla strips.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados