California Avocado, Bacon and Tomato Salad
Total Time: 20 min
Vitamin A 905 IU; Vitamin C 16 mg; Calcium 69 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D
0 IU; Folate 103 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.5 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15%
Ingredients8 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch dice 2 Tbsp. large capers, thoroughly drained and patted dry 4 thin slices red onion 12 cups assorted lettuces, such as romaine, arugula, escarole and watercress 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice 4 medium tomatoes, cored and diced Homemade Croutons (see make-ahead recipe below) Vinaigrette (see make-ahead recipe below) 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced Cracked Black Pepper Oil, optional (see make-ahead recipe below) Homemade Croutons 3 Tbsp. Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 4 slices crusty whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces Salt, to taste Freshly ground black pepper, to taste Vinaigrette 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar 1 lemon, juiced 2 tsp. spicy Dijon mustard 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced Salt, to taste Freshly ground black pepper, to taste Cracked Black Pepper Oil 2 Tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper 1 tsp. salt 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil 2 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Cook bacon in pan over medium heat until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Leave bacon fat in pan.
- Increase heat to medium-high. When pan is hot, but not smoking, add capers and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- Soak onion slices in ice water for 2 to 3 minutes, drain on paper towels and separate into rings.
- Toss salad greens in a large bowl with bacon, onion, avocado, tomato and Homemade Croutons.
- Sprinkle salad with the Vinaigrette and toss to coat all ingredients evenly.
- Divide salad equally onto plates. Top each with a fan of thinly sliced avocado, and if desired, drizzle with Cracked Black Pepper Oil.
- Sprinkle with capers and serve immediately.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add bread and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat with oil and seasoning.
- Sauté over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Whisk vigorously to combine. Refrigerate.
Cracked Black Pepper Oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. Reserve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados