Chicken Paillard is a French dish but this one is made California style. Grilled lemon chicken made tangy with Dijon mustard topped with arugula, tomato, fresh creamy California Avocado and Cherry Tomato Anchovy Butter.
Grilled Lemon Chicken Paillard
Total Time: 4 h 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 228 mcg; Vitamin C 43 mg; Calcium 147 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 76 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.29 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsGrilled lemon chicken paillard (see below) Arugula salad (see below) Tomato and anchovy butter (see below) 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced Parmesan, shaved for garnish For the grilled lemon chicken paillard: 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 tsp. Dijon mustard 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 2 tsp. kosher salt 1/4 tsp. coarsely ground fresh black pepper 2 8-ounce boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, sliced in half, and pounded thinly For the arugula salad: 6 cups baby arugula, washed and dried 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 2 tsp. lemon juice 1/8 tsp. Kosher salt, to taste 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, to taste For the cherry tomato anchovy butter: 4 Tbsp. butter 2 anchovy fillets, salt cured and packed in oil, drained and chopped 1 lb. cherry tomatoes, sliced in half Juice of half a lemon 1 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
Prepare the chicken:
- Combine the lemon juice with the mustard, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Take out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling so it comes to room temperature.
- Heat grill to medium high heat. Grill chicken for 4 minutes on each side until fully cooked.
- Remove from the grill and rest.
- While the grilled chicken is resting, toss the arugula in a large bowl with olive oil, a small squeeze of lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Prepare the Cherry Tomato Anchovy Butter:
- Place the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Once melted, add the anchovy and tomatoes, optional salt and pepper and cook until the tomatoes release their juices, about 1 minute. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley.
- Arrange a large handful of arugula on each dinner plate and top with the grilled chicken. Add another handful of arugula over the top and spoon on the cherry tomatoes, California avocados, and thinly shaved parmesan.
Serving Suggestion: Substitute the arugula for spinach or spring mix and to add color, use various colored cherry tomatoes.
Beverage Pairing: Dry white wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados