This recipe takes a new spin on your favorite lettuce wraps, with zesty lemon and creamy California Avocados. Kids will love building their own mini lettuce wraps. Adults will love having this recipe prepared in just 30 minutes, plus the rainbow of nutrients. Everyone will love them because they are simply delicious! Enjoy these as an appetizer or as an entrée when served with steamed rice. Fast and tasty with the added bonus of being a nutrition powerhouse with 80% DV Vitamin K, 70% DV Vitamin A, 50% DV Vitamin B6 and 40% DV Potassium.
California Avocado Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4 1/2||tsp.||reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|1||Tbsp.||Hoisin sauce (or use BBQ sauce)|
|2||tsp.||Chinese mustard (or use Dijon)|
|1||tsp.||sriracha chili sauce|
|3 1/2||tsp.||fresh lemon juice (3 tsp. for the avocados, 1/2 tsp. for the carrots)|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded and cut into ½” dice|
|2||scallions, white and light green parts cut into 2-inch pieces, dark green parts thinly sliced, divided|
|1||lb.||boneless skinless chicken breast, each breast roughly cut into large chunks|
|1 1/2||tsp.||ground ginger|
|As needed||Freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|12||(about 4-inch in diameter) Bibb lettuce cups|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
(Makes 12 mini lettuce cups)
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, Hoisin, mustard and Sriracha.
- Place diced avocado into a medium bowl and toss in 3 teaspoons lemon juice.
- Mince garlic and white scallions in a large food processor. Add chicken, lemon zest, ginger, salt and pepper, and pulse until chopped, with pieces ranging from the size of peas to the size of nickels.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the chicken mixture to the shimmering oil in an even layer and brown on one side without stirring, about 3 minutes. Stir and break up the pieces with a wooden spoon and cook through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drizzle in the soy sauce mixture.
- Fold the avocado into the chicken.
- In another medium bowl toss the carrots and green scallions in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of chicken into each lettuce cup and top with 1 Tbsp. of carrots.
Serving suggestion: Stir-fried sugar snap peas with garlic
Beverage suggestion: Orange sparkling water or dry Riesling wine
Adapted with permission from Clean Eating for Busy Families: Get Meals on the Table in Minutes with Simple and Satisfying Whole-Foods Recipes You and Your Kids Will Love, by Michelle Dudash, RD (Fair Winds Press, December 2012).
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 3400 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 45 mg; Iron 1.6 mg; Vitamin D 1 IU; Folate 104 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.5 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 70%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10%