This pilaf recipe pairs avocados and bell peppers with red quinoa and grilled chicken, for a satisfying, colorful meal. Each recipe serving provides an excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, niacin, vitamin B 6, potassium, and iron, and a good source of vitamin E, folate, pantothenic acid, and phosphorus.
Grilled Chicken and Avocado Quinoa Pilaf
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||Tbsp.||fresh or bottled lemon juice|
|3/4||tsp.||ground black pepper, divided|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks*|
|1||Tbsp.||olive oil, divided|
|2||small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)|
|1||large red bell pepper|
|1/2||medium onion, chopped|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|3||tsp.||sodium-free chicken bouillon|
|1 1/2||red quinoa, uncooked/dry|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Heat grill.
- Peel and cut avocado into chunks; place in a medium bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, basil, and ½ tsp black pepper. Drizzle over avocado chunks, toss, and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise. Mix ½ tbsp olive oil, salt, and remaining black pepper.
- Brush mixture on chicken and red bell pepper.
- Grill chicken and pepper until done. Set chicken breasts aside.
- Cut pepper into thin strips.
- While chicken and peppers are grilling, heat remaining olive oil in a large sauce pan, add garlic and onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon, and quinoa to pan; bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
- Place quinoa pilaf in a large bowl, add chicken, red peppers, and avocado. Toss gently.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with an 8 oz glass of non-fat milk and ½ orange, sliced.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 1503 mcg; Vitamin C 60 mg; Calcium 60 mg; Iron 5 mg; Vitamin D 3 mcg; Folate 65 mcg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 100%; Calcium 6%; Iron 30 %; Vitamin D 0%