This dish is totally versatile. It is delicious served as is or without the whole-wheat sandwich thin, for a lower-carb, lower-calorie meal. You can also slice the chicken and serve in lettuce cups, or over a bed of lettuce, sprinkling the avocado mango salad on top. The California Avocado Mango Salad is versatile too and also pairs well with pork tenderloin, seafood or even as a black bean topper. California Avocados are naturally sodium-free, cholesterol-free and sugar-free, making them a nutritious and tasty topper for any burger. California Avocados can act as a “nutrient booster” by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha- and beta-carotene, as well as lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.
Grilled Chicken Burgers with California Avocado & Mango Salsa
|Grilled Chicken Burgers|
|Zest of 2 limes, finely grated|
|1||lime, juice only|
|2||tsp.||high heat oil, like canola, rice bran or grapeseed oil|
|2||cloves garlic, smashed|
|1/4||tsp.||ground black pepper (or to taste)|
|1||lb.||trimmed boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 4 equal pieces|
|4||100% whole wheat sandwich thins|
|California Avocado & Mango Salad (see recipe below)|
|California Avocado & Mango Salsa|
|1||ripe, Fresh, California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced into small chunks|
|1/2||lime, juice only|
|1||large mango, diced into small chunks (about 1 cup)|
|As needed||Ground black pepper to taste|
|As needed||Sea salt, to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Grilled Chicken Burgers:
- Combine the lime zest and juice, mustard, oil, garlic and pepper in a medium container.
- Pound the chicken pieces into 1/3-inch thickness.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the grill on medium, about 350-400 degrees F. Lightly oil the grill.
- Sprinkle the sea salt all over the chicken.
- Grill the chicken on one side until opaque halfway up the sides, about 7 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook through, about 3 minutes.
- Place each grilled chicken piece on the bottom half of the sandwich thins. Top with the California Avocado & Mango Salad and top half of sandwich thin.
- In a medium bowl, coat the avocado in the lime juice.
- Stir in the mango, pepper and sea salt.
Serving suggestion: Serve with lime wedges and your favorite condiments, like light mayonnaise or mustard.
Beverage pairing: Plain, unsweetened coconut water on ice with fresh lime juice.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Calories 390; Total Fat 13 g (Sat 2 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 2 g, Mono 7 g); Cholesterol 95 mg; Sodium 510 mg; Potassium 550 mg; Total Carbohydrates 30 g; Dietary Fiber 8 g; Total Sugars 6 g; Protein 41 g; Vitamin A 357 IU; Vitamin C 17 mg; Calcium 71 mg; Iron 2.6 mg; Vitamin D 6 IU; Folate 66 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15 %
Avocado and Mango Salsa only: Calories 90; Total Fat 6 g (Sat 1 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 0.5 g, Mono 3.5 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 50 mg; Potassium 240 mg; Total Carbohydrates 7 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Total Sugars 4 g; Protein <1 g; Vitamin A 328 IU; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 9 mg; Iron 0.3 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 45 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 20%; not a significant source of calcium or iron
Chicken Burger with Sandwich Thins: Calories 310; Total Fat 7 g (Sat 1.5 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 1.5 g, Mono 3 g); Cholesterol 95 mg; Sodium 470 mg; Potassium 310 mg; Total Carbohydrates 22 g; Dietary Fiber 5 g; Total Sugars 2 g; Protein 40 g; Vitamin A 29 IU; Vitamin C 3 mg; Calcium 63 mg; Iron 2.3 mg; Vitamin D 6 IU; Folate 21 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15 %
Chicken Burger with Lettuce and Mango Salsa: Calories 300; Total Fat 12 g (Sat 2 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 2 g, Mono 7 g); Cholesterol 95 mg; Sodium 290 mg; Potassium 570 mg; Total Carbohydrates 9 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Total Sugars 4 g; Protein 36 g; Vitamin A 428 IU; Vitamin C 17 mg; Calcium 34 mg; Iron 1.6 mg; Vitamin D 5.8 IU; Folate 54 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8 %