California Avocado Corn Chowder
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|8||ears sweet white corn, husk removed|
|3||ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled and seeded|
|As needed||Kosher salt and pepper, to taste|
|As needed||Poblano sauce (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|Chef Kent's Poblano Sauce|
|1||tsp.||dried poblano chile, stem and seeds removed|
|1||pasilla chile, roasted over open flame with stem, skin and seeds removed|
|As needed||Salt and pepper to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Toss corn in a small portion of the avocado oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and roast in 350 degrees F pre-heated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes until kernels start to turn golden. Remove and let cool.
- Reserve 1 Tbsp. avocado oil. In a large saucepot sweat onions in remaining avocado oil.
- While onions sweat, peel off foil and cut off cooked corn kernels, add in with onions.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Slice some avocado for garnish, reserve. Blend remaining avocado with the soup in batches. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Finish soup with a drizzle of poblano sauce, avocado slices and reserved avocado oil.
Chef Kent’s Poblano Sauce
- Heat vegetable stock, chiles and onion.
- When the dried chile is soft, remove mixture from heat. Blend on high until pureed.
- Add lime juice and finish with salt and pepper.
Serve in warmed soup bowls.
Try with a glass of sparkling mineral water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 1063 IU; Vitamin C 32 mg; Calcium 54 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 260 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.6 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%