California Avocado Corn Chowder
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 1063 IU; Vitamin C 32 mg; Calcium 54 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 260 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.6 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%
IngredientsSoup 6 oz. avocado oil 8 ears sweet white corn, husk removed 1/2 cup diced onion 5 cups vegetable stock 3 ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled and seeded As needed Kosher salt and pepper, to taste As needed Poblano sauce (see make-ahead recipe below) Chef Kent's Poblano Sauce 1 cup vegetable stock 1 tsp. dried poblano chile, stem and seeds removed 1 pasilla chile, roasted over open flame with stem, skin and seeds removed 1/4 cup diced onion 1/4 cup lime juice As needed Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss corn in a small portion of the avocado oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and roast in 350 degrees F pre-heated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes until kernels start to turn golden. Remove and let cool.
- Reserve 1 Tbsp. avocado oil. In a large saucepot sweat onions in remaining avocado oil.
- While onions sweat, peel off foil and cut off cooked corn kernels, add in with onions.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Slice some avocado for garnish, reserve. Blend remaining avocado with the soup in batches. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Finish soup with a drizzle of poblano sauce, avocado slices and reserved avocado oil.
Chef Kent’s Poblano Sauce
- Heat vegetable stock, chiles and onion.
- When the dried chile is soft, remove mixture from heat. Blend on high until pureed.
- Add lime juice and finish with salt and pepper.
Serve in warmed soup bowls.
Try with a glass of sparkling mineral water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados