The bright flavors of homemade preserved lemon enhance the creamy texture of California Avocados in this chilled soup. Thanks to its unique preparation, this dish provides the perfect opportunity for any at-home chef to experiment with more complex cooking techniques. Serving family and friends deliciousness and good nutrition including four essential nutrients: 231 mg/25% DV vitamin A, 42 mg/45% DV vitamin C, 5 mg/35% DV vitamin E, 58 g/50% DV vitamin K along with 64% DV dietary fiber, 30% DV potassium and 20% DV protein.
California Avocado and Lemon Crème Fraiche Soup
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 231 mcg; Vitamin C 42 mg; Calcium 145 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 228 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.34 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 45%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%.
Ingredients1 cup English peas, shucked, plus extra for garnish 4 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and halved 1 cup half and half 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste 3 Tbsp. crème fraiche, or sour cream 1 Tbsp. Preserved Lemon (make ahead recipe below) Preserved Lemon Ingredients 1 lemon, medium 1/2 Tbsp. sea salt 1/2 tsp. chili flakes 1/2 tsp. coriander seed
- Place peas in a small pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain the peas, refresh them in a bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Place avocados in a blender with the half and half and 3/4 cup of the peas.
- Puree on high speed, adding 6 Tbsp. of oil in a thin stream to emulsify.
- Season with salt, pass the mixture through a fine sieve and set aside.
- Place the crème fraîche in a small mixing bowl with the preserved lemon and mix thoroughly.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup of peas into another bowl and season with 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Serve the soup in small soup bowls and top with crème fraîche mixture in the center. Sprinkle each bowl with peas for garnish and drizzle with remaining oil.
Preserved Lemon Instructions:
- Wash the lemon with hot water, peel the skin and juice the lemon into a small mixing bowl.
- Mix the lemon juice with salt, chili flakes and coriander seed.
- Add the lemon peels into the mixing bowl and refrigerate for 3 hours up to 5 days.
- Upon serving, rinse the lemon peels once more and mince finely.
Serving Suggestion: In addition to the garnishes listed, the soup can also be topped with lemon zest or toasted breadcrumbs.
Beverage Pairing: Due to the soup’s creamy texture, the dish pairs well with a dry white wine like Pinot Grigio, to add acidity and enrich the preserved lemon.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados